• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil/Shock Tower Braces

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
Would the Cherokee's unibody benifet from one? I am talking about connecting the passenger side to driver side where the coil and shock mount on on the inner fenders. I know that import cars and other preformance cars benifet from them, so what about us?

Make sence or have I been hanging around the ricer crowd too much?:rolleyes:

AARON

Yes anything to stiffen up the unibody is good, the brake booster gets in the way some, but you can get around it with some work.

i have been thinking about a brace like that for a few months now. i want to do something like the mustangs in late 60s.
from shock to shock and than also to the fire wall.

maybe all the experts here can say if they think that it would be helpful. i think that with the shock brace and than a brace under the engine, it would really stiffen up the front. driving the xj on a bumpy street doing a turn i feel like i am driving a convertible. some one should make them for sale. i am surprised that there is no braces of any kind available for the xj. jack

Ok it sounds like there is some intrest in this type of thing. So who wants to start building and selling?:D

Any more opinions?

AARON

the braces from TandJ are more for stifening the the complete chasis. i dont think that it would add any strength to the front shock area. even a complete cage would leave the front as is with out any reinforcement. i feel that at hight speed and especially on a bumpy road or freeway, that the front end is just flexing a lot. and you can feel that thru the front end and steering wheel (not DW).

i hope XJguy just finishes the cage, i would not want to distract him with another project. i am kind of talking to a local guy that makes stuff for XJs. if there is a lot of interest than that might speed things up. jack

You would still feel a diffrence with the t and j set up. I haven't knowticed much flex in the front but then again my front bumper is pretty good at keeping everything tight up front. But for the street crowd a 100lb winch bumper isn't the greatest idea. right now i don't have a whole lot time to build anything right now but if you used some tubing and just tied in a few areas up front it would help alot.

The T&J stiffys wouldnt work for me. I have custom long arms and cut off the stock LCA mounts. Also I have rock rails which mount in 3 places along the "frame rail" so again the T&J stiffys wouldnt work for me. Its a good idea though.

I am perfectly capable of fabing up a front bar for myself, its just that I am really lazy:D

Thanks for the replies,

AARON

track bar brace helps alot and i made a pair of frame stiffeners.
fbe0a0ba.jpg

fbc67ec9.jpg

fbc67dcf.jpg

Ive thought about doing this for a long time. I also subscribe to the idea that more stiffness is better, if for nothing else to reduce the metal fatigue of the uniframe thus prolonging the life of your XJ under even normal street use. However, being that our vehicles do not have IFS, the front axle housing itself keeps the front wheels functioning properly in relation to one another; as far as keeping one side of the suspension behaving in a calculated manner in relation to the other. It will require relocation and or removal of many things to get that tubing across, at least in my 92 4.0 this is the case, other years or engines may vary. I do not think I have ever seen those bars ever installed in a non competition vehicle that solid axles.

Tieing the whole thing to a roll cage would be ideal, but it would require a significant amount of hacking, in other words its reserved for trail rigs or race vehicles IMHO.

XJguy

Holy Old thread batman... let me bump this up.

I was just thinking about doing the same thing.. like a fox body mustang type brace or a simple hoop.

Anyone ever do it?

wow.. very old thread.. haven't realy thought much about that part of bettering the handling in a while. but a brace like in the picture has worked wonders on my dodge ram.. i ties in both frame rails and the steering box.
img002.jpg

The existing chassis stiffeners will not do much to increase torsional stiffness as they run parallel to the frame and not perpendicular to it. One of the reasons I selected the DirtBound rear bumper is that it goes into the uniframe adding some torsional support for the rear as well as just plain making the tow points near bullet proof. It would be a real challenge to tie the front end together due to the suspension mounts. Mustangs, etall, can do it as the shock mounting towers are high up in the bay making a cross over brace along with ties to the firewall practical.

In order to stiffen the frame it would need to be triangulated at the header panel then tied to the firewall. Don't know about your rigs, but I do not have the room under the hood. I run the RE Track Bar Brace and it helps. A cage would help, anything would help the Flexi-Flier. I'm thinking the H.D. Offroad Engineering Roof Rails would help. They are on my to-do list. They will help the cab but that still leaves the front end flexing. Anyone seen the thread on the cracks at the cowl one of the members has found? Front end flexing... All unibodys flex. It is the nature of the beast when you stop one place from flexing the stress is transferred to the next weakest link.

This is what we get when we drive a vehicle originally designed around a 4 banger. No room. Wranglers were designed with V8s in the mix so they get better options. OK, they get a real frame too, don't be so picky.

wow.. very old thread.. haven't really thought much about that part of bettering the handling in a while. but a brace like in the picture has worked wonders on my dodge ram.. it ties in both frame rails and the steering box.
img002.jpg
Is that a PSC brace?
Wonder if the pitman arm nut is the same size, on a XJ's steering box, as the Dodge box? The brace should help the steering box last longer, before developing side play, by putting the pitman arm in double shear.
Never seen it done to an XJ. Wonder if there is enough room to clear the XJ's sway bar?

That dodge brace sure looks a lot stronger than any XJ box brace I've seen. If your worried about clearing the sway bar mounts you could just run spacers.

i belive it is the same size. I might be able to check it if i head out to my storage and see if i can find a jeep box to compare to the spare dodge box. Not sure what make that support is but they are all very similar. and I'm sure smaller tubing and or a different placement could be done with an XJ

I believe it is the same size. I might be able to check it if i head out to my storage and see if i can find a jeep box to compare to the spare dodge box. J

If you have time, I would appreciate it.
Surprised thus has not been used on an XJ before. Done right, it would significantly decrease the stress on the lower bearing in the steering box.

Back