• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.transfer case chain,.heavy duty or not..?

BILLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
:cool: got ye olde transfer case apart again and was wondering just how cost-effective this choice would be and if there is any merit for opting to install the "heavy-duty" transfer case chain plus some additional cost rather than getting the lower cost standard chain-This is a limited off-road and DD XJ-
TIA

Considering your driving habits I say no!If mine just needed a chain,thats what Id do.If I found I also needed drive gears also,than I might look at the difference in cost differently!Some will look at this like dumping money into a D35!!!!!!

I have the regular chain, never thought it was worth the dough for the bigger sprokets and chain. You'll never break it, they just stretch a little when they get worn out.

my friend runs 39.5 x 15.50 swampers on a 231 in his yj and besides a loose chain, no brakeage

Stock is fine. However, if you are willing to scrounge, you can probably come up with a set of wider sprockets and chain. I did. Actually, I found a yard that had a couple boxes of broken transfer cases and dug till I found both a six pinion planetary from a 241 and some wider sprockets most likely from a chevy 231C. I couldn't come up with the matching chain though, so purchased a new one. I believe the new 1.25" chain was $77. I don't remember what the other stuff cost, but I think it was between $30 and $50. I added an AA HD sye for $210 at the same time. I now have just about the strongest 231 one can build and it didn't cost me too much. I don't have low gears or 2low though. Oh well. Jeff

RCP Phx,.. for "Hero of the Planet"!!:angel:-Thanks to you and many others ,Richard Goatman,small pederson, etc.. here at the NAXJA website for this and the many other comments/advice and posts you and numerous others have provided that have been of great personal assistance with my ole XJ project -
THX again,.I am .sorry if I am gushing again :)
-BILLXJ

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Stock is fine. However, if you are willing to scrounge, you can probably come up with a set of wider sprockets and chain. I did. Actually, I found a yard that had a couple boxes of broken transfer cases and dug till I found both a six pinion planetary from a 241 and some wider sprockets most likely from a chevy 231C. Jeff

But few of us have the will to scrounge like you do, Jeff. :) :)

I often poke through the wrecking yard, but you have a knack for coming up with the good stuff.

The best story, though, is how you got your rock rails...... :D :D

Well, the rock rails weren't so much scrounge as persistance. I didn't manage to get anything built before Best of the West II, so ended up out there without rocker protection. After the first trail, I located a 4wd shop near the campground , purchased some steel they had and built some rails in their parking lot till 12:30 AM! Richard was there repairing some bead lock bolts too. Can't say enough for Alpine Off Road in Montrose, CO!! Jeff

Back