• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze Plugs Revisited...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
:sigh: Well, you may remember that in September I replaced all my freeze plugs, well, I botched the job.

So my question is...how should I install new plugs, unfortunatly I have to tear down the damn manifolds again...grrr!

Here's how I did it: Drove them in with a socket that was sized just right to contact the outside of them, as in the rim of it. The leaking plug is squirting out the side, looks like I might have scored the rim of it a bit on installation and it took a few thousand miles to finally blow out (good thing it didn't let go on teh way to/from Moab!).

Thanks
Sequoia

If it's only qty=1 plug you may wanna consider just using one of the rubber expanding type of plugs or perhaps a heater (I know in Torrance that a block heater really isn't that usefull, but it'll be an easier install with some added functionality... (the rubber plugs are easy as well, but they really don't offer much entertainment)

Just be careful with the block heaters...

I had the factory installed block heater break and fall out on the highway, at night, in the rain yadda yadda, now I have a 4.6 stroker in my '99. (64K on the clock at the time... )

I'm sticking with regular old freeze plugs from now on...

Picture%20006.jpg

Find socket that fits inside of them snuggly.We used some of the old Permatex #2 sealer as a lube/sealer when doing the job.
HTH
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Find socket that fits inside of them snuggly.We used some of the old Permatex #2 sealer as a lube/sealer when doing the job.
HTH
Wayne

Totally agree on this. Inside the plug and not on the rim, plus sealer. Done many SBC's and can't remember one leaking.

Non-hardening Permatex, has worked for me. Steel or brass, didn´t seem to make much difference.

I usually use sockets to drive welch plugs from JUST INSIDE the rim diameter - but I need to make another set of drifts! Usually, a little bit of RTV Black helps things along, and I tend to prefer brass over steel (brass seems to seal a bit better, IMO.)

Take your time and do it right - you already know what a PITA these things can be to redo...

5-90

I heard of a tool that Snap-On makes from a local XJ list (SoCalXJ), there's a guy there that is doing the same, and he's going to try it, I'll probably wait for his report before doing it, maybe I can weasle out of taking my manifolds off!

Oh, and I used brass, just looking at my rotted out #3 freeze plug when I changed them out this summer made up my mind on that (I changed out all the plugs, it's the #2 one that's leaking now).

Sequoia

Back