• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring sag ?

BILLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
was wondering if there is any problem with leaveing the ole XJ sitting/resting on the rear leaf-springs only without the shock-absorbers installed for a couple of months or so- I recently had to shift directions and "Old Man Winter" has sorta interupted the repair process-Worried about all that weight and the effect overtime quickly deteriorating the springs-
-TIA

No, the shocks do not actually hold the weight of the vehicle, the springs do. The shocks just control the up and down movement of the axle after hitting a bump while moving. If it is just going to sit there is not need to worry about wearing out the springs.

Might as well leave the shocks on (no issue either way). I would rest the springs (I assume there is a axle under it) and the axle on jack stands just so they are off the ground.

I would not rest the entire xj on the rear springs if there is no axle under them (there will be no lateral support and they will likely collaps lateraly). If this is the issue I would put a support between them and then put it on jack stands.

Michael

Back