• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oh boy, another tires thread!

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Does anyone use Big O TIres? Are they West Coast, or East Coast, or Colorado Garage, or anywhere approved?
On the MTs and XTs, and I think ATs, there is a free replacement warranty as long as you have 2/32"s left of tread.
This is the MT,
A1AG08.gif

and this is the XT.
A1A1G13.gif

I'm looking at the 35x12.5/15 flavor. I'm really hooked on the free replacement, but what else should I be looking at? Thanks. Phil

I'm looking at the latter for my tow righ and have a friend that runs the MT's. Both are a pretty soft compound that doesn't seem to last the longest, but the traction is good. From what I've seen the sidewalls seem to be a little on the week side.

If he doesn't pipe up Brian Harmon (Cherokee Nation) ran the XT's for quite a while. Look him up.

Lincoln

A friend has Big-O muds on his CJ and blew out a tire on the trail.

Honoring the warrantee, they were going to replace the tire, but his tire was the old style and they only had their new(?) style in stock. They replaced ALL the tires with the new style!! Hell of a deal!

He's now a Big-O man for life! :)

Lincoln
From what I've seen the sidewalls seem to be a little on the week side.
That's what the warranty is for. ;) Besides, if I can put a nice big hole in the side before the tread gets too low, that negates any fast treadwear.
XJZ
Honoring the warrantee, they were going to replace the tire, but his tire was the old style and they only had their new(?) style in stock. They replaced ALL the tires with the new style!! Hell of a deal!
I like free stuff.:)
The MT looks kinda vaguely like a Swamper with the chevrons cut through the middle, but the XT has nice large open areas and sipes for my time on wet roads and snow.

Looks like 2 pro and 2 con. Anyone else have input?
What else should I be looking at then? Or is it not too bad if I don't mind screwing around with the flats?

In my opinion, Tires are one of the most important things you can put on your truck, and their quality matters and price is also very significant.

I have run BFG's for years and do not think you can do better for a all around tire (any tread, depending on what you need). They strong side walls, you can get a free replacement through several companies like Discount Tire, maybe Costco, but you do have to pay for it.

As for cheap tires, I am currently running a Retread and I love it, it is the Hi Tec retread and it gets great traction, handles well, I have yet to have any problems with them and they are mounted on BFG tripple side wall's and are plenty strong (however they do not make a 35").

If you are running 35" tires on your xj on the trail and street, then I would recomend either the BFG or Swamper, not Big O.

Just my opinion.
Michael

Hi-tech will be coming out with 35 and 37s soon. Here is the email response I got in July. He wouldn't fess up on what carcasses they will be using though. It would be nice if they can get their hands on old MTR's for some side wall strength!

from Rick at hi-tech:
"Thank you for your inquiry, 35 inch 85 to $90, 37 inch $105 to $125. Should be available between three and six months."

2xtreme
you can get a free replacement through several companies like Discount Tire, maybe Costco, but you do have to pay for it.
That's not free then, is it?:) 4Wheel Parts has a prorated warranty after half tread on the BFGs, that just means I need to bust them before half tread to get the free replacement.
Unfortunately, I'm going to be doing more street than trail driving, so Swampers probably wouldn't be too good for me.

For West coast wheeling and street, as a student with a restricted budget (hmmm, tires or food for the next month?), what's better: MT/Rs, retreads, BFG Muds with a warranty, or something else?

I've just been running Kirkland Signature tires for the last 3 years because I was broke when I needed tires. They've got 33K on them so far and will probably make it to 40K. They were $89/tire at the time for 31's. I haven't had any reliability problems, but I do get some vibration once I get past 75mph. Not sure if it's the tires or the Jeep. I ran BFG AT's on my last S10 truck and they only lasted 30K miles, but I've heard the IFS fronts on those trucks eat tires, mine always feathered on the front.

My Dad ran Big-O tires on a suburban a long time ago. I don't know how many miles he got out of them, but I don't ever remember him having a problem with flats or anything.

Phil Weeks said:
That's not free then, is it?:)

Depends on your point of view. The point was only that you can get a free replacement insurance for most other tires, you just pay for it up front. To be honest you are paying for the same thing with Big O, you just do not see the cost externally (it is built right in to the price).

It is well worth it on any tire in my opion if you do any significant off road driveing.

If I were to vote on a the best all around tire off and on road I would vote for the BFG MT. I would not even consider the MTR (from my person experience on the trail with friends). If you really want cheap then the Big O might do you just fine.

My experience with the retreads from Hi tec are wonderful (they only use good carcases) and you can specify one in particular if you do not mind waiting for them.

Michael

2xtreme
I would not even consider the MTR (from my person experience on the trail with friends).
Why's that? What kind of trails? It seems like they are the local favorite, and with the input against the Big O, I'm leaning towards MT/Rs from America's Tire with a warranty.

Pretty sure Big-O, is Fulda, is Yoko, with different names and possibly different compounds. Mine are Fulda´s, speed rated to 115 MPH, better in the mud than Goodyear MTR´s, not quite as good as TSL´s, but a lot quieter.
A lot of Defenders, with the Dunlop Mud Rovers on them, around here. Mostly in 235X85 R 16.

I just found a writeup on the Dunlops at www.rockcrawler.com , go to the "tech" section, and the link is most of the way down the page with the other tire/wheel writeups.

I also found out they are made by Goodyear...

I think the only thing that I don't like about them is the manufacturer's site says the 35s only measure 34.1. Many 35s only measure 34.5-35.7. I'm also thinking about the TrXus, which actually measures a full 35 if not a hair more, I've actually heard guys say that side by side the TrXus 35s are within an inch of 37 MTRs... but they're $160... the Dunlops are $105... decisions, decisions...

Yeah, they look pretty good, Rockcrawler says they've put something like 40000 miles on them and a bunch of trails no problem. I want to get my tires somewhere that will give me a free replacement, though, and I'll pay more now incase I need a replacement later.
Anyone else?

Back