• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 tranny problems

xjndmud

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my transfer case broke last month, put the new one in and now the transmission wont shift out of 1st gear, whats wrong here, im pretty sure its not the linkage, so any suggestion will be greatly appricated, i havent drove my rig in over a month so please help!
1992 with a 93 231 t case 4.0 AW4 with 190k miles on it
if you need any more info please dont hessitate to ask
thanks

Thanks guys!

He called me last night and those were what I told him. Plus the linkage. I guess I know more than I thought about the AW-4. My understanding from him was that is shifts between 1-2 but no other gears.

Someone correct me If I'm wrong, but doesnt the tranny default to 4th gear when the TCU has no power and then the only way to shift is manually starting in 1-2, If this is the case and you are getting first gear when you have your selector in D then I would be willing to say your TCU is bad, you don't have enough fluid, or one of your solenoids are stuck.

HOWEVER:cool: From reading these forums, the most common reason for not shifting up from first is a bad TPS, you may wanna check that if you are sure that the TCU is getting powered, keep us posted, its good to see what becomes of these probs, it helps others later down the road...

Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but I believe the TPS will only cause weird shifting, s/a really high rpm shifts, etc., but shouldn't prevent the transmission from shifting at all.
Be sure someone hasn't installed one of those second-gear lock switches on your Jeep, if that is engaged it won't upshift past second gear.

Dave, I think you are right, it causes eratic shifting and very high shift points but I believe it WILL still shift out of first eventually

Could it be......

A wire or relay?

ok guys thanks for helping with the diagnosis.
more facts, it will not shift nor has it shifted out of first, I just thought it had.
all the wiring to the trans looks intact.
fluid level is good.
tcu is getting power.
I can disconnect the tcu and sure enough it locks in 4th gear.
I can maually go back to 1-2, and then back to 4th, I plug the tcu back up and it goes back to first.
Tells me the wiring is intact?
So does that mean a stuck solenoid or the tps is bad or is it the tcu?
thanks again for helping!!

Correct me if I'm wrong here.....

But it sounds like a stuck solenoid to me. If it's stuck in first then something is keping it there. Would a drain and flush help?

I am planning on draining and replacing the filter.
When I am at that point can I see the solenoids?

Once the screen is out of the way......

Yes you can see them. The solenoid can be tested with an ohm meter. I have some basic AW-4 stuff in my FSM Zig if you need it. But what about the NSS? Could it cause this problem?

Back