• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AUSSIE vs. NOSLIP vs. LOCKRIGHT vs. ?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered an Aussie 2 weeks ago and called them today and they say they're still 3 weeks out. It was going to be $220 shipped, but I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks and would like to have it in by then. What other lunchbox lockers work good in the Dana 30? I've heard the Aussie is supposed to be the quietest since they all ratchet or click around corners when in 2wd. Who out there has experience with other lunchbox lockers in the front D30 and which one to get for a comparable price? Reliability and noise comparisons of other models will be helpful too. It's still my DD.

My D30 is non-disco without a hub conversion.

IIRC The Aussie and Lock Rite are very similar in design and function (IE Noise) The No Slip is quieter than teh LR because of a revised clutch setup...no ratcher sounds.

RJ

I've searched and been reading some other comments too, and several people have said they hear it ratchet around corners and in parking lots, you don't have any of that azxjman?

you might hear a click or clunk at full turn, but none otherwise. I too have a lockright in the d30 front, nondisconnect, and I only notice it at full crank.

Who's got the best price on a Lock-right or EZ Locker? I started calling some of the distributors on Powertrax's web site and half of them don't carry their stuff anymore. 4WheelParts has the EZ for $240($270 shipped). Anybody else good to go through? Preferably on the west coast to reduce shipping time.

Does the EZ Locker have as good a reputation as the Lock-Right? They seem pretty much the same and Tractech has a good rep so I would assume the EZ carries that rep.

I just put a No-slip in my (8.25) rear axle and it doesn't ratchet around corners at all. As with any locker, you can feel a bit of understeer when accelerating, especially if you're turning fairly tight at the same time - it doesn't take long to automatically alter your driving style to accomodate the extra "push". I'm not totally used to it yet, but having driven rear-locked vehicles before, it shouldn't take long (it's been about 15 years since I've driven with a locker).

You also feel and hear (not too loud, though) a thunk from time to time as the No-slip releases when you let off the gas. It's nothing major.

Having the automatic makes life much easier than with a standard when getting "re-used" to having a locker.

I went to a parking lot yesterday to do some figure 8's and to get more comfortable with the handling characteristics, as this is my DD. Understeer can be felt as expected (moderate to heavy foot & tight turn), but I need to be on something considerably more slippery than pavement to feel any oversteer (I wasn't going to go out of my way to try to break the rear free on pavement - too old for that stuff).

Haven't yet had a chance to try it off-road, but on-road manners are very good, considering that the No-slip provides a truly "locked" differential when you apply power.

A transparent ride once you learn to apply power when the vehicle is going straight, and let off or maintain light throttle in the corners.

I've heard of quality problems with EZ lockers - I'd go with the lockright -should be @$250 from everyone -- look for richmond gear's website, they recently bought powertrax.

Don't know how EZ's are today, but I put one in the front of a D30 under a CJ and ran it for 5 years before selling it. I never had a problem with mine, broken u-joints, blown hubs, knocked teeth off the ring gear, but never had to touch the EZ. Currently have a No-slip in a rear 8.25, after they warrantied the first one I haven't had any probs with the new one. It is VERY quiet, but I wouldn't say you don't know its there. I squeal tires on every corner. Awesome in the dirt though.

I had a full Detroit in my last truck and it would bind and then unload all of the sudden around corners sometimes, causing the rear end to shift sideways a little. Does the no-slip have that behavior too, or just squealing? And yes, I like to give it gas around corners, that's why I've still not put a normal locker in the rear, saving up for a selectable unless I hear something that changes my mind.

I've also started considering putting a full Detroit in the front instead. I'm having the gears done at the same time, so labor is the same whether I go with a lunchbox or a full detroit. Will a detroit be noisier or harsh in the front axle in 2wd? Anybody running one in the front of their non-disco axle? Operation should be the same when it's engaged whether it's a lunchbox or a full detroit I believe. I know the Detroit is stronger, is that strength beneficial, or are the lunchboxes already strong enough that the difference doesn't matter? TIA.

I have the EZ LOCKER in the Dana 30 on my TJ. I have yet to hear it click. I just ordered a Aussie Locker for the XJ so I can not campare it to the EZ locker yet.

LOOKSURF said:
I have the EZ LOCKER in the Dana 30 on my TJ. I have yet to hear it click. I just ordered a Aussie Locker for the XJ so I can not campare it to the EZ locker yet.

Did you get your Aussie Locker yet or are you still waiting for it? I'm curious to hear how the 2 compare. The price is about the same.

Back