• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj vs xj coils?

taco502

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if the MJ coils are taller than XJ's? I pulled some MJ coils out of the junkyard because they measured out at 19 & 1/4" I'm not sure if these are stock or aftermarket or ZJ coils, can someone solve this mystery for me, I want to know because I'm looking to add these coils to my 1" spacer and net 2-2&1/2" of lift over stock XJ. thanks a lot.

XJ and MJ coils are the same.

Free length doesn't mean much. You also have to compare the wire diameter and the number of coils. Length alone doesn't determine spring rate or ride height.

Having said they are the same, I should clarify that this only means they directly interchange. My local spring shop lists a half dozen coils for the XJ/MJ. Go to a dealer and they'll list probably two dozen or more. Different models, different equipment and engines, and different years used slightly different springs.

Just for example, 4-cyl springs are lighter and softer than 6-cyl springs. Put 'em in a 6-cyl and you lower the front end.

4cyl coils also have a longer unloaded length. (thinner windings though)

those measurements sound like 4-banger coils, are the windings really skinny?

Back