• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust question

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I have bought my Banks header, heard nothing but good things. Come to find out that it does not come with the down tube, whatever.
Here is my question. My 97 4.0 HO has a sizeable pinch on my down tube right after it connects to teh header. Is this pinch restricting my flow enought that if I get a new tube bent to fit in there I will notice a difference? If not, I will just deal with it. I have just heard that it is pinched as a "governor" or it is pinched for clearance reasons. I cant imagine I would have any clearance issues now that I am at 7.5" of lift. So, does anyone else have this pinch? Should I bother getting a new downtube? Will it give me more power back?
Thanks.

Everyone has the pinch. A few people have had custom pipes made to remove it. Of those, some claim they see an improvment in top end performance, some say they lost low-end torque, and some say it doesn't make any difference.

If your down pipe is in good shape, save your $$$

Back