• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD conversion complete

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Well, it has been done.....my 2WD MJ is now 4WD, except for one little part I had to order from the stealership (TC linkage rod, and they had to get it out of Wisconson somewhere, should have it in about a week)
All in all, not too bad a project that only took about 4 days worktime to do. Between parts swapping and the U-pull yards, I was able to keep the whole project under $300, and most of that went for new rotors/pads for the D30, and all the fluids for both diff's, trans, TC, clutch, engine oil, and about 10 cases of beer for me and my brother:rolleyes:
Got it all done and running, checked for any leaks and went for a small test ride and immediately blew a rear brake line...the second one. All's left now is brake line repair (I'm going to run all new rear lines because I'm sure another one or two will probably go soon), TC rod, driver side floor repair and replace the interior, and a new speedo cable 'cause the one I got is the wrong type at the speedo end. Plus mount new 30's on the wheels I bought two years ago and never got around to using. Then the fun can truly begin!
I'm a VERY happy camper, and would like to thank anyone/everyone who helped me get this project done. If anyone is considering doing this to their 2WD XJ/MJ and needs any advice/help/tips or tricks let me know. I've learned many things about the intricacies of the 4WD driveline I'd be happy to share!
Build it, don't buy it....in my case.
Jeff

sounds great. it a great feeling to be almost done (wait...that's the feeling jeep owners always have).

anyhow, glad you got it done. NOW HIT THE TRAILS!

What cable?

I have to get a new one for mine so mine is available!

Congratulations.

I did my XJ about 2 years ago and can't tell it from a factory installation now.

We should set up a meet and greet and compare notes some time. I'm just outside Fredericksburg and we've talked about getting some of the NoVa people together as well.

Ghost,
I need the long 4WD speedometer cable, the kind with the plastic squeeze-type retainer clip already molded into the cable end Problem is that there are two different styles because of a mid-year production change in ’87. It's hard to describe/understand unless you can see both of them side-by-side, but if you know what I'm talking about and have a spare, I'll take it;)
Tlman-Sounds like a plan, although I won't be bringing it back down to VA until the end of the month, hopefully (it's up in PA, about 6 hours away....)
LRRH-
The ironic part is that my wife thinks I’m “done” working on it. Little does she know what’s in store next….front locker, lift, and a D44 if I can find one…….
Jeff

Ok so you need the FI cable.....

The long cable that goes around the engine. I have the short carb one. But check with Dave. [email protected] He has some stuff in the for sale forum. I jbought a cable from him with the bracket for like $20. I bought a lot of the little things I needed from him. Both my wire harnesses too. Good guy and you get what he tells you he isending too. HTH. Get it done and come to Uwharrie some time.

Negatory, good buddy...

I need the speedometer cable. Runs from the TC up thru the firewall into the back of the speedometer. IIRC, it's 140"..Advance Auto/Autozone/etc. list them, but they just have the cable itself, not the housing. I'm going to try the 'yard this weekend, and if no luck, I might have to (gasp!) get it from the dealer..
J

I'm an idiot! LOL!

Mine is about 60"-70" or so. That sure is a long cable. Why would you need one that long? Even though its an MJ the tranny and t/case are the same length... Or are you looking for the thing that screws into the t/case? I'm confused! LOL!

Last edited:
Jeff

If you are out scavanging the yards this weekend and find a 2 piece speedometer cable with the speed pickup for cruise control for an 87 please let me know. That's the only part I need to complete the addition of cruise to my rig. I can make it to any yard in the area later in the week and pick it up.

By the way, I have an AW4 in mine.

Thanks

Back