• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans?

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i was looking around and found alot of mixed info about trans flush. my 89 i have had for about 2 months and have been changing every thing (new cps, dis cap and rotor, plugs, oil, and oil o-rings, fuel pump, fillter, and one injector). and i was courios about the trans fluid it's still pink and looks new but i was wondering what some of you would do. it has 198000 miles but i dont know when it was last changed.

If it looks good and works well I'd be inclined to leave it, but if you are really concerned, you can drop the pan and replace the filter. This won't drain or flush the whole system but it will replenish some of the fluid and give you a good look inside. When I did this on my 87 at about 175K miles, it was a waste of time. The inside of the tranny was clean, the fluid was clean, and the crud in the filter wouldn't have filled a teaspoon.

A local transmission rebuilder I talked to about this a couple of years ago recommended not to have the full flush done - he says it rarely helps and often seems to cause problems.

do a search on this...

a bunch of us had a (few page long) discussion about this exact topic not that long ago. . .

basically though, if it looks pink still (good) and smells alright and is working fine right now, LEAVE IT. especially with nearly 200k on the ticker.

my $.02

capttrev

tranny fluid change

Sounds as though your tranny is in great shape. When I had my tranny flushed(power flush) it looked like used motor oil. I never had any probems with it but I have heard others develope shift problems afterwards. I guess it dislodges particles and build ups in there and as we all know how sensitive a valve body on a tranny can be. The AW4 is one solid unit, its rare you hear of one self distructing.
If I were you I would just let well enough alone.

Back