• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caster Set

ken johnson

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89xj 4wd. I've put all new tie rods on and would like to do a home caster alignment. Can anyone give me directions on how to check it with simple home tools. I have material for shims and have a method copied from a web site. I did not understand his directions for the angle check. It was to complicated for me. Anybody got an easy way? What is the spec? Thanks.

dont you mean toe? caster should not change with tie rod ends. you are talking about steering tie rods right?

I never though of alignement as a 'do it yourself" project. I just had my 88 XJ aligned and the tech told me they can only adjust toe in. The problem then is re-centering the steering wheel.

I am no front end guy, just an owner of a 88 XJ.

I know Moog makes shims and offset balls joints to fix camber but that requires pressing out and pressing in new components.

I think caster can be adjusted with shims at the chassis end of the control arms.

This is why most shops will tell you they can only adjust toe in. You might pay 4 hours of labor to have offset ball joints installed and if you have stock control arms they may tell you nothing they can do for caster.

Just find "the guy" in your town and take it to him, he will get it aligned right and make sure he uses a Hunter machine. As far as I know they ARE the standard for alignment equipment.

Well...... if you have a camber problem, then I think you've got worse problems to deal with, like bent axle tubes. (Yes, I know, Ken didn't say camber..... but Martin did :D )

Caster is not difficult to adjust on an XJ. Loosen the frame end lower control arm bolts, and the 2 bolts on the adjusting slide. Insert or remove shims as necessary. I'd take the shop to task if they tell you they can't adjust it.

IMHO, offset ball joints are much more usefull for changing the relationship between caster angle and the pinion angle. This becomes a problem with taller lifts when the pinion no longer points at the transfer case and the caster is set properly.

Darkfly is right, simply replacing rod ends (or the whole draglink or tierod) shouldn't affect caster at all. You can check toe-in with just a tape measure. The adjusters take a wrench and either a pipe wrench, or the parts shop should have the tool to turn the adjuster. Ideal toe-in for an XJ is 0 to around 1/16". Harbor Freight also has a toe gauge available for $13.

Look up Go-Jeep, he posts here somewhat frequently. He's got a website with a driveway alignment procedure.

ken johnson said:
I have an 89xj 4wd. I've put all new tie rods on and would like to do a home caster alignment. Can anyone give me directions on how to check it with simple home tools. I have material for shims and have a method copied from a web site. I did not understand his directions for the angle check. It was to complicated for me. Anybody got an easy way? What is the spec? Thanks.

As noted, tie rod ends do not affect caster angle.

If the web site you looked at was Go Jeep's, that's the best explanation you're likely to find. Just take your angle finder, crawl under the front, do what he says, and it should make sense when you look at it.

Back