• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold front grill covers

EricT

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know where I can get a cold front grill cover to restrict airflow to my radiator? With temps here below 20, my jeep isn't warming up. I put a piece of cardboard in front of it for now and she gets up to 150, but I would like to see that temperature a little higher.

sounds like a thermostat stuck open to me.... takes forever to warm up? cools off a lil when you start moving?
mike

I just replaced a stuck open thermostat, hung out around 150 F.

this is a new thermostat guys, when I put the cardboard in and let it idle, it would reach 210.

I third the stuck thermostat. I live in NE PA and it gets cold up here. No fun replacing a thermostat at -20 in a parking lot at 7am when the indian head gasket cement freezes as soon as it comes out of the bottle on the applicator. Mine had a tiewrap end stuck in it and no clue how it got there unless someone stuck it in as a joke or prank.
As for the grill cover, you can make one yourself, take an hour or so. Go by a dozen screw in type snaps, then get a piece of naugahyde 4-6 inches bigger than the grill, cut it in half vertically so that you have two panels. Fold a 1"-2" border back and sew around it. Put the female snaps on the border, put a reverse snap on the top inner corners and a blind snap where the corner would fold back to so that you can open it a bit to allow air in. You don't need alot of snaps around the grill, the fan suction will keep it pulled in pretty tight.
You could also get pretty fancy with sewing some designs into it or on it also.

New thermostat or not, the purpose of a thermostat is to keep the coolant temperature UP. I live in New England, and I don't see a lot of XJs driving around all winter with cold front grilles. You have a problem.

I´ve had a bunch of themrostat failures over the years. Some stuck closed, some stuck open and some I messed up with the installation.
Any old thermostat won´t do, the jeep thermo is a low profile thermo, to clear the bend of the elbow. The OEM gasket works best, cut your own as a second best, no gasket and silicon as a third best (being careful not to overdo it and gum up your new thermo). And throw away the universal gasket that comes with some thermostats.
A standard size (hight) thermo can be made to work, but you have to be careful. It will only fit in the elbow one way, without crushing, hard to install, with the hoses still hooked up, hard to feel when it´s wrong. It will crush when the elbow is tightened.

I do have an old truck mud flap, that I put in front of the grill on occasion (for mud not cold). Drilled a couple of small holes in the side of the headlight bezel and use a couple of bunge cords to hold it in place. Havent lost it yet.

Incidently, a piece of pegboard is great as a winter cover; it lets just enough air through evenly, so as not to overload the fan (waterpump) bearings, and provides just the right amount of cooling. Works best if you can work it into position right in front of the rad, not too easy on the XJ. Doesn't look too pretty out in front of the grille!
Here in (brrr) Canada I use a winter front as well as a good t'stat. Available at most auto parts stores for about $29.00

Peg board isn´t a bad idea, I´ve seen some mudders put a grill cover on there Jeeps. Sheet metal with holes puched in it. Used sometimes for cellar windows, in place of a screen. Probably take some experimentation, to get the airflow right. The mudders use it for only short runs. Probably cuts down the air flow to 1/2 or more.
Gets in the teens here often, sometimes down around 0 F. Never needed a grill cover in my XJ´s, except when the snow gets really deep, which can plug up the radiator.
Some of the truckers, use a blanket type cover, that can be rolled up, to a half cover or whatever.

Back