• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference between add a leaf and shackles

mudhound32

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into a budget boost and see there are two distinct differences when it comes to raising the rear. I would like to hear from you guys who used the add a leaf and the greasable extended shackles and which would be the better way to go. I would also like to hear about your shocks selections as well.

Thanks,
Mike

mudhound32 said:
I am looking into a budget boost and see there are two distinct differences when it comes to raising the rear. I would like to hear from you guys who used the add a leaf and the greasable extended shackles and which would be the better way to go. I would also like to hear about your shocks selections as well.

Thanks,
Mike

It depends on what you intend to do with the Jeep. The full length AAL is better for your leaf pack, but it will stiffen up the ride a little. A longer shackle will have a more stock feeling onroad ride. It will also allow the spring to articulate better then it does stock (great for offroad), but due to that extended articulation it will wear the spring out quicker.

I went with the longer shackles. The main reason I did so was because I intend to lift the Jeep higher once the current tires wear out and I will be replacing the spring pack anyway, so I did not care if the stock leaf wears out quicker. Plus I can incorporate those shackles into the next lift.

Like I said it depends on where you intend to go with it.

As far as shocks go, I run Rancho RSX's and I love them...but they are a little expensive. I lot of people I know run Doetsch Tech's in their Jeeps and swear by them. They are relativly inexpensive and work very well on or off road.

Good Luck and Rock On!

Steve

I have run AALs in several Jeeps. My MJ came to me with a half-length AAL and it's too stiff. Also, my local spring shop confirms that these can also break springs. Fortunately, most of the AALs now available are the full-length variety.

Personal preference, but I like the ride with a full-length AAL better than stock OEM springs. I would not use extended shackles by themselves, for the reason already given above -- the increased articulation also accelerates spring fatigue, causing sag and in extreme cases breakage.

Shocks: I like Monroe. I have tried KYB "Gas Adjusts" and Racho 5000s and found both the be unacceptably harsh. I like a "firm" suspension, but not a kidney breaker, and that's how I e felt with the Ranchos. The KYBs were too resistent to small pavement cracks -- I felt every single one.

Eagle said:
I have run AALs in several Jeeps. My MJ came to me with a half-length AAL and it's too stiff. Also, my local spring shop confirms that these can also break springs. Fortunately, most of the AALs now available are the full-length variety.

Personal preference, but I like the ride with a full-length AAL better than stock OEM springs. I would not use extended shackles by themselves, for the reason already given above -- the increased articulation also accelerates spring fatigue, causing sag and in extreme cases breakage.

Shocks: I like Monroe. I have tried KYB "Gas Adjusts" and Racho 5000s and found both the be unacceptably harsh. I like a "firm" suspension, but not a kidney breaker, and that's how I e felt with the Ranchos. The KYBs were too resistent to small pavement cracks -- I felt every single one.

Yes, stay away from the Racho 5000's. If you're running an F150 or something they might be OK...but the XJ is much lighter and they are way to harsh in it...unless you like banging the fillings out of your teeth. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Back