• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

places to wheel in so-cal

witt

NAXJA Forum User
im in riverside and i am looking for a place to go wheeling this weekend... ive gone to a couple places but its just been fire roads.... i know that there are places around here.... i kind of only want to drive within a hour or so from where i am.... got any suggestions? is big bear open? and how do you get there?

Witt,

Good to see some more local inland empire XJ'rs. I am from Corona and there are a few others on the board here that are from Corona and Riverside area. I do not know of any areas that are "local" that are very challenging except the the most stock rig. You can try Big Bear as it is about an hour away. You can head out to Johnson Valley in an hour and 20-30 min. What type of wheeling are you looking for. I know of some spots down the 15 fwy that you can do some basic stuff, but more challenging then a fire road.

-Scott

Im in Corona also, right b my house there is a small area to do some wheel'n. there is ONE small challenging rockgarden that most people would just see and keep going because it looks unpassable. with the right line you can go through, but there is a pertty high chance of body damage, I have made it though there about 2 times without hitting the body, the rest I have always hit the rear passenger side 1/4 pannel. You end up REALLY sideways going up a waterfall type thing and a large rock always bites the 1/4 pannel. Unfortuently they are trying to close this place down, so the only time to go wheel'n there and not get in trouble is during the week or at night(night wheel'n is FUN!..You cant see shit! :D)

Plenty of areas around here!

There is a book by T.G. Wells I believe and it has a significant amount of trails in SO CAL. If you would like I can get you a copy for about $15.00 dollars. If you are interested in wheeling SO CAL then stay tuned here. Theres allways somebody cookin up runs. I went last night and had to rescue a guy who got stuck and broke a tie rod. Welder to the rescue!!!

Rabbit

P.S. PM me if you want to go out some time. I'll go with you.

A few folks are gonna be running Shredder (Palmdale) this sunday..... I know a little late notice.

Where:
Shredder Canyon, Antelope Valley

Meeting Place:
Burger Basket
17116 E. Avenue O
Palmdale, CA
93591-3164

Time:
8:00AM

Map to meeting location:
http://tinyurl.com/txqa

Scott S.

My friend and I just wheeled this past weekend at a place near teh town of mecca. there were a bunch of pretty good trails, and even places that my stock XJ couldn't go. I have directions, and I can post those in the morning

to get to the area where I was talking about here are the directions:
CA-60E Towards Indio
Take I-10E towards Beaumont
Take CA-86 S towards Brawley/Coachella
Turn LEFT onto 66th ave.
There will be an ARCO station there. A good place to gas up and refill tires if you've aired down.
Continue down that road for a couple miles and then to your left there is some residential area, cutting through there on your left, heading towards the hills. there will be a canal and there are places to cross it, then you are into the off roading area. Sorry, I can't provide more acurate directions, but that's the best I have, I was following my friend there.

North Shore / Mecca area

If anyone needs further directions to the area Heechee55 mentioned let me know... I can provide detailed directions.
Some of the area is closed and some is closed seasonally but in the winter the seasonal stuff is open.
Heechee I hope you all had fun....
See Ya!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I had a great time there, and would like to go back again. I wouldn't suggest it if I hadn't found it to my likeing. I've been looking into what upgrades I would like to do, so that I could go more places that the area had to offer.

SoCa wheelin'

I live in Ontario, I'll be going to Calico the 2nd weekend of Dec. if you want to join us. I wheel with Sons of Thunder, right now there are only two vehicles going.

Who else is going Doug? Mor than likely, you can add my name to the list of lost souls going to Calico if all goes well..............

-Mike L.

Clacico

Jack said he would go. I'd like to leave friday the 12th. You're still in school right? How early can you get away?? I don't plan on taking the day off but with any luck I could leave by 4:00 or so, it just depends on where I'm working.

Back