• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor woes

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
so the check engine light comes on and i stop at autozone to "borrow" their tester and it tells me that i have an O2 sensor going out.

-- no big deal, i think --

off i go to the stealership (because my sensor is not available otherwise -- 2001 w/ 4.0L) thinking that this will be a quick, easy cheap job. HA !! there are 4 of the stupid things, all with different parts numbers and the cheapest one costs over $100.

is there any way for me to tell which one of the four is going out so that i can only buy the one that i need ???

The obdII code usually indicates which one is bad. Get the code number from the autozone reader and look it up in the fsm. This method worked on my passat v6 and pointed me to the downstream sensor on drivers side. Since your xj is a 2001 I am surprized it is not still under warranty. Your sensors are four wire sensors but my research shows you only have two sensors a upstream sensor before the cat and a downstream one after the cat. Try www.oxygensensors.com.
Good Luck. Greg

I could be mistaken but, I believe the dealer owes you those free since they are an emissions device and the vehicle is less than 5 years old. I think there are provisions for that set forth by the EPA.

Mark

XJMark said:
I could be mistaken but, I believe the dealer owes you those free since they are an emissions device and the vehicle is less than 5 years old. I think there are provisions for that set forth by the EPA.

Mark

I think that's right. 5 years or 80,000 miles on the emissions equipment.

I see this is a old thread, but I'm haveing the same problem. I bought my truck used, it's still under 50,000 miles an is a 01 as well. Should I call Daimler/Chrysler or the dealer I bought it from? And I was looking uder my truck and found nothing after the cat. So where is this sensor at?

RizzyRong said:
I see this is a old thread, but I'm haveing the same problem. I bought my truck used, it's still under 50,000 miles an is a 01 as well. Should I call Daimler/Chrysler or the dealer I bought it from? And I was looking uder my truck and found nothing after the cat. So where is this sensor at?
In the muffler.

Back