• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fishmouthing tubing...would this work?

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
fishmouthing tubing with holesaws works fine for me, most of the time.

I get fair life expectancy out of regular hole saws, even more out of a nice carbide-toothed one....

however, I'm wndering how well a bottom cutting end mill would work?

I know some guys use this technique to fishmouth tubes in a lathe (milling bit in t he chuck, tube clamped to the bit holder)
One day I'll own a real lathe for home, but in the meantime, i'm wondering if a milling bit would work in a drill press?

one ton?

I was using a bottom cutting end mill bit in my drill press/mini-mill this summer, and it snagged on the conduit I was trying to notch and shattered the gears in the press while tearing the conduit to pieces. Now granted I'm sure you have a much bigger/beefier press than I do, but the material you're working with isn't exactly 7/8" electrical conduit either. Take that for what it's worth... Now if you could find a way to set up a feed table(I think that's the term for it) for your material I think you might be onto something. HTH

Ary

It'll work fine, get a roughing endmill though.

edit: I think it was in McMaster that I was looking these endmills up a while ago. You're looking at $60-80 for an import or $140+ for made in USA. I'd probably go the import route considering how little use it's going to get.

Last edited:
excuse me?

little use?

you know what I'm doing over here, and don't forget, i hafta do little timmys cage as part of our deal, that is of course, if he ever gets around to START BUILDING THE DAMN THING

What does an end mill bit look like? Is that those spiral looking bits with the cutters on the outside? Is that a shitty description?

The only problem with doing this in a drill press is the stress it puts on the lower bearing.

Also, I've had issues with the spindle coming loose. Is yours an MT-3 taper?

CRASH

Yeah, little use. Are you using it everyday? I don't think so. You've got less than 200 cuts to make with it in a years time, correct? I don't care if you get the expensive ones, I was just trying to save your family some money.

If you plunge instead of slot, you have a lot greater possibility of doing what Ary did. Do what you want though, plunging will probably work for ya. Think of how quickly you're going to wear out that one cutting surface though.

I just saw the drill press part of your post, thought you were doing it in a lathe.

DON'T DO IT IN A DRILL PRESS WITH A ENDMILL Is that clear enough for ya? You'll destroy everything involved.

Why spend the dollars, I use hole saws, non carbide style and get between 500 and 800 cuts from each.

I know your not notching more than I do each month! :D

mark
orgs mfg

Go buy Mtech's notcher or the williams one and you can carry it anywhere you can carry a 1/2 drill and have a bench mounted vise. Get what I'm saying? Give up on your fantasy of spending too much on tools that aren't needed and won't work anyhow. I don't see what you have against hole saws.

Sean,

don't you get it yet?

B just wants to be able to talk about something cool, like end mills instaed of using a plan old hole saw.

B with your experience you should be notching with a chop saw and a grinder. When you've got that down then we'll let you play with the big boy toys.

:D

hinkley

I'm just always looking for a better way.

this has nothing to do with what i can do at the shop.

this has to do with what i can do at home.

if I wanted to talk all cool about the REAL way we usually fishmouth, i could have done that, I was "keeping it real".

Actually, the chop saw and grinder method works pretty well. That is, if you're not a barkeatin' city boy.

I think......

I get more amusement out of you guys post than most film and tv shows! LOL! I love this place!

OneTonXJ said:
Go buy Mtech's notcher or the williams one and you can carry it anywhere you can carry a 1/2 drill and have a bench mounted vise. Get what I'm saying? Give up on your fantasy of spending too much on tools that aren't needed and won't work anyhow. I don't see what you have against hole saws.

Onetongue,

I think the Beez is just compensating :D

got the JD2 notcher when I got my Model 4.

Probably in excess of 200 notches on the same el cheap HF hole saw. Good enough for a cheap bastard like me.

How well does the lathe method work on steep angles? The notcher will go to 50 degrees, and the grinder takes care of the rest. I think any steeper than that, (say in the 70 degree range) and the bit/saw/tool wants to chew up the wall too badly. Any experience machine shop blokes?

And what about multiple end cuts, like the junction of tubes at a node? Took me 3 hours this weekend to get one tube, 2 cuts each end correct, mucho cursing. Of course the passenger side only took 45 mins.

Beezil said:
excuse me?

little use?

you know what I'm doing over here, and don't forget, i hafta do little timmys cage as part of our deal, that is of course, if he ever gets around to START BUILDING THE DAMN THING

WTF! Get off my ass already! The interior is stripped. The dash is partially out. The bed is now full of parts and pieces of everything. OH Man, I can't wait to post pictures for Eagle.

Back