• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The elusive TPS connector

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
My square connector coming off the harness into the TPS has seen better days; it is cracked and brittle. I currently have a tie strap holding the connector to its counterpart on the TPS. I have recently changed out a bad (binding) TPS and would like to fix this connector problem. The dealer doesn't seem to offer the connector and I'd rather not buy a new harness just for a stupid connector. The junk yards tell me their connectors are in just as bad a shape as mine.

How has everyone approached this issue? I'm sure it's a very common problem. I'm trying to avoid snipping wires and using another type of connector besides the OEM type. But I may have to do that to ensure a reliable connection.

Why the hell is it so hard to hunt down connectors? Why do they have to use proprietary connectors all the time?!! It's a big conspiracy.

Connectors are tough. The dealer is only supposed to sell harnesses now. Good Mopar dealers have a book with pictures of connectors that you can order from. Take a look at GM style weather-tite connectors. They sell those on the shelf at Pepboys, and I think that's what that connector is. It is on the Renix system, anyway. Take the TPS into a good parts house, and they may be able to match the connector.

Fred

Sorry, I'm watching the Broncos. :) Your 87 is a weather-tite style connector, and should be easy to find.

Fred

Thanks for the suggestions guys. And go Broncos!!

I've been to Napa, Checker's, and two dealers and no one was able to come up with anything. One of the dealers did make a commendable effort though... but no luck.

And yes. Before I changed the TPS I did splice in an oval GM style onto my old TPS and harness. I had originally thought I had a bad connector but it was definitely the TPS.

When I got this new TPS I wanted to use the old square connector so I wouldn't have to cut-n-splice the new TPS wires to the Weathertite just in case I needed to take the TPS back to Autozone if it didn't work. Didn't want to have to explain why I had cut off the connector and lose a $70 refund.

The new TPS has a 3 month warranty so I may just drive around until the warranty expires and then splice in the GM connector again. In the mean time I'll still try to hunt down the OEM style. Wish me luck. Thanks again!

Back