• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durabak

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
I'm biting the bullet & going to bed line the interior after going through 2 carpet kits with 2 kids loving to drink red juice while running trails. A little incident a while back with my cat burning a hole through the carpet didn't help either. Everything is masked off & preped, but my question is with the body sealer that exists around the seams in the body. Do I need to do anything to this stuff or removed it before application? Does the Durabak adhere to it OK or did you guys go nuts & remove it all before applying the stuff? :eek:

Matt

I guess it depends on what yer going after.

I've durabaked three different jeeps, and the on;ly thing I've ever had to do was take care of any flaky rust problems, and wipe the whole area down with xylol.

I only had ONE problem with durabak, and it was over the spot where the cat was....however, I was runnign the cat pretty damn close to the floorboard, higher than it would normally be, and I got a spot that bubbled up....the cat didn't have a heat shield either, so its hard to blame the durabak.

you seems to have an eye for detail, and your junk it always well-executed, so I would maybe scrape off the sealant, just so you can't see a raised oozie part once the durabak goes on....

you gonna do black? grey?

i think grey hides trail-grime better than black.

black looks awesome when its new.

also, i've painted rustoleum (liquid) paint over durabak before without problems.

When I Durabaked the bavk of mine it stuck to everything, I went over "Great Stuff", body sealent, plywood, and even polyurathane caulk and it has stuck well after a couple of months. Just make sure you wipe it all down with Xylol...dont skimp, scub it good.
About the area over the cat...on mine that is Rhino...and it got real hot, so hot that the Rhino would "cook" on slow climbs in the mountains....kinda smells like carmel when it gets real hot. I now have a sheet metal heat shield over it and it is just warm..much better.

HTH

Rev

BTW - Don't get any on your Hootis.

Hey Matt. Don't have any info on this, but had to post. I was reading the post quick at work and saw your "A little incident a while back with my cat burning a hole through the carpet didn't help either." And I misread cat for cat not catalytic converter. Got a really good laugh out of this! Thanks!!
:looney:

Durabak question

I'm thinking,...down the road, of painting the outside of my XJ in Durabak. I just did my skids, brushbar, and other accesories in Herculiner. I've read that black Herculiner starts to oxidize in the sun and turns grayish over time. Some guys say they spray paint the oxidation black again, and everthing is OK for a while.
It makes me wonder why they don't add UV protection to their formula :confused: . Does anyone know if Durabak uses a UV protectant in their paint?
BLUTO :)

I believe Durabak has a UV protectant that can be used in their black, but not sure about other colors.
You might check on their site. www.cotelind.com (I think)
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

As with most other coatings, I have not had very good luck with durabak. I did the trailer tongue on my MJ bed trailer very carefully a year ago and now have rust beginning to make an appearance between the little rubber particles in the goop. Also, the stuff is quite oxidised and doesn't look too great anymore. I also coated my front bumper in it and then scraped on rocks which peeled the durabak right off. The bumper is also very oxidised looking now too...8months later. I don't think it is much competition for regular spray in bedliner material. I know a few folks that have that in their pickup beds and it seems WAY better than herculiner or durabak. Jeff

Matt,
removing seam sealer is a bitch. You need a shop rat or go-fer and about two days. Miserable stuff to get rid of.

Just spray over it.

Grant

If the shop rat can handle it, a sooty oxy-acetalene flame and a sharp scraper will work.

I removed all the seam sealer in some BMW's we raced in the touring car stuff back home, I was the shop rat then.

Miserable job

FarmerMatt said:
I'm biting the bullet & going to bed line the interior after going through 2 carpet kits with 2 kids loving to drink red juice while running trails. A little incident a while back with my cat burning a hole through the carpet didn't help either. Everything is masked off & preped, but my question is with the body sealer that exists around the seams in the body. Do I need to do anything to this stuff or removed it before application? Does the Durabak adhere to it OK or did you guys go nuts & remove it all before applying the stuff? :eek:

Matt

I used herculiner for 2 xj's & 3 yj's and love the stuff. It is easy to work with and comes out good. I'm looking into Durabak Safety Red for my exterior because my 91' has bad paint & I want something durable as this is strickly my off-roader. Don't worry about doing your interior, it's the exterior which I'm trying to finalize. I know you will like it with your kids and any water, mud ect from off-roading. It is a bit abrasive so you kids might have to watch their knees & elbows if they are wiggling around.

Re: pics?

Rufies97XJ said:
Don't mean to hijack....
Anyone have pics of this project?
Does it make he cab warmer/cooler and/or louder?
Thanks.

Herculiner, picture is after about 1 week of normal use.
standard.jpg

Another a few months later, holds dirt pretty well.
standard.jpg

I am pretty pleased with herculiner the only times I have needed to re-apply it were when I took a bad chunk out will fumbling tubing around welding in the cage. I has held up to normal use well.

Matt, just rough up the surface of the sealant a little and it will be fine. You don't need to remove any of it.

Yay. :dunce:

FarmerMatt said:
Wow, somebody went reading through 6 month old threads...

Matt

I'm getting ready to do the same project for the same reason. How did it turn out?

Nay

Nay said:
I'm getting ready to do the same project for the same reason. How did it turn out?

Nay

Herculiner turned out really good for the 5 jeeps I have done it in. 2 xj's & 3 yj's. I'm looking into doing my exterior with either Herculiner or Durabak, but I'm leaning towards Durabak because it looks like it has smaller particles and I want a more smooth appearance on the outside. I also like Durabak's colors. They have like 20 colors. I want to use either their safety yellow or safety red. I was going to just rattle can the jeep with Rustoleum safety red from Lowe's, but I want something that will be more durable and who knows how many cans of spray paint I will need & how long it will last?

FarmerMatt said:
I'm happy with it. I used the Durabak. It is a little lowder inside than with the carpet, but I expected that. I plan to do it again on this next rig.

Matt

Now the question is: Would you do it on your exterior body? I have the clear coat problem on my 91' xj and am really thinking of using either Herculiner or Durabak. I have used Herculiner alot, but Durabak looks to have smaller particles and should look better on the body, plus they have lots of colors and I think they have UV protection.

Back