• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing

JEEPERCREEPER

NAXJA Forum User
Can I safely tow my xj with all four tires down. It's an '89, 5 speed manual transmission. Can I put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and hook it up to a tow bar and pull it cross country? Any problems or concerns I should be aware of?

Yes

You should have no problem doing that, just make sure that your steering column is unlocked :eek: and you have good mounting points for your tow bar. You can find a good, cheap, tow bar for about $100 at Pep Boys.

This is how I towed a Toyota 4x4 longbed pickup 2500 miles from Phoenix, AZ to Guatemala. I also towed a Mitsubishi Montero from Phoenix to Wichita, KS when I move here the same way. Also make sure you have a good tow rig, on the trip to Guatemala I used a 85 Toyota 4x4 truck to tow the other one with and was not able to get over 55mph without things getting really scary. It made for a real long trip.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Back