• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal Fires?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I have been trying to keep an eye on them and thinking about my fellow brothers in the left state. But I have a question/statement that I have not seen addressed in the media yet. (Maybe I missed it!) Anywho, here goes. Aren't these out of control fires a direct result of the greenies not allowing proven forest managemet thinning and burning being done? Did I say that right?

i haven't had the chance to keep up with the new news on it the past few days, but last i heard, there were reports of one lost/stranded hunter starting one out-of-control fire from setting a signal fire to be found. then i heard another report of an arsinist setting fire to a house that then caught the trees on fire. i'm not sure if one or both are true. i'm in the process of moving ot a new apt so i haven't been able to be kept up on the latest 411 on the fires. :anon:

Ghost said:
I have been trying to keep an eye on them and thinking about my fellow brothers in the left state. But I have a question/statement that I have not seen addressed in the media yet. (Maybe I missed it!) Anywho, here goes. Aren't these out of control fires a direct result of the greenies not allowing proven forest managemet thinning and burning being done? Did I say that right?
Bingo !!

Update 10/31/03

http://www.KBHR933.com/newslocal.html

"The fire has not moved much closer to Big Bear. The fire has two main fire fronts that threaten Big Bear.
The northern front is 6 miles from Fawnskin behind the ridge that is known as Butler peak. The southern
flank of the fire is below Keller Peak and about one mile south of Deer Lick Station.

As many as 20 Bulldozers are in Big Bear or they are on the way in order to surround Big Bear with a fire
break that when finished will spread from The Big Bear Dam to Onyx Summit on the south side. And on
the North side the fire break will run form the Big Bear Dam area and as far as the desert. Yesterday the
completed a fire break around Fawnskin and one north of Big Bear City."

"Fire strike teams are in Fawnskin and on the South Shore ready to battle any approaching fire line. They
are also developing a list of structures that could benefit from foaming prior to a the fire approach. They
are also removing any potential fuel from around structures this includes any vegetation and could include
any excessive landscaping.

This fire is now a Type One Management incident which will bring needed resources to Big Bear along
with nearly 2000 people to join the fight. Crews and bulldozers are cutting a firebreak in the Hanna Flat
behind Butler Peak area and along 2N10 on the south side of the Big Bear Valley."

This is the result of not allowing proactive thinning (selective logging) to prevent density and forest health problems. Quite an accomplishment for organizations that claim to love the trees. Maybe they forgot to look at the forest, while they were hugging the trees, although the charred hulks of dead and burned timber will be difficult to ignore on their next outing.

I'm not of the tree hugging club....but....to blame policy.....what to cut and what not to cut, is short sighted and narrow.
Too many dead trees....dead from a natural predator...the bark beetle. The forestry service has be doing what they could to cut and haul the dead trees for at least the last year.
The numbers of dead and dying trees was, and is staggering.
When California asked for federal assistance in removing these fire hazards we were refused help....this refusal coming from our own government....
Any of us who have been to Los Coyotes have seen first hand the numbers of trees involved...maybe more than we could have ever been able to thin...
I don't think any forestry management policy could have prevented this devistation....

If we need to point fingers...maybe someone could have found a way to deal with the beetle......
maybe faster availablity of air tankers could have helped....
maybe those of us who live near open space could have....

Lets face it people...
This probably could not have been prevented....
Remember...the fires burned in areas devoid of conifers as well as in the mountains....

I just don't want to see or hear of finger pointing right now...
and for this I am sorry
Rick

Jump This said:
I'm not of the tree hugging club....but....to blame policy.....what to cut and what not to cut, is short sighted and narrow.......
I just don't want to see or hear of finger pointing right now...
and for this I am sorry

You're right... it's not that simple even though it is (talk about wheels within wheels approach :) ). What would you do with that federal money if it was given? Not much if the greenies have been blocking any and all attempt to regulate the amount of dead wood in the forests. I understand that to a certain extent nature needs to regulate itself, but.... we are part of that nature. Our behaviour and lifestyle and activities affect the nature so things need to be done to offset that. I'm not saying that people need to go in with an axe into the forest and go medieval, but things could have been done to prevent that. Also the explanation about where fires started and how they started cannot be used to explain that things were good and the dead trees and flammable stuff are not an issue.... they are very much so. The fire most likely would have not spread as fast, as far if things were managed, watched over and taken care of....

Some of the blame has to be put on the environmentalists who have blocked with lobbying and lawsuits any attemp to change Forest policy regarding selective logging, thinning, and any other mechanized management technique. No, the fires can't be blamed on them, but they do deserve to take the heat for the result of their position and activities, which is a forest that is more prone to catastropic burning. They are not innocent.

Unfortunately, they are extremely opportunistic in their fight against recreationists, and it would be very niave and short sighted of us to not jump all over them at this time. This goes to public perception and politics, and this situation, in addition to the fires last year in Az and CO, will contribute to a national discusion that will improve public opinion and empower politicians to respond to us rather than to the narrow minded greenies.

The head of the National Forest Service fire fighting service in SoCal has been on television saying what we already know, that the green groups have blocked them at every turn, and policy needs to shift to allow them to manage the forests properly. He wasn't mincing words about it, and neither should we.

Re: the fires. They are a natural part of the 'system' and we should allow them to happen. Structures protected sure but from what I've read and seen fires are a vital part of the forest, clearing out what needs to be and releasing seeds that will only get released by fire. The forest will come back. It's been getting along with out us for a long time. It seems to me that when Mt. St. Helens went up and people went in to "clean up" those areas not cleaned recovered a lot faster.

I do agree though that this is a good opportunity to counter the greenies. They are taking public (yours and mine) land and making it....... whose?

Cherokid said:
Re: the fires. They are a natural part of the 'system' and we should allow them to happen.

Yes.... and no.....
what has happened was not natural... by no means. Natural fire means a fire that starts on it's own (ussually thunder strike)..... what we had was case of arson and human stupidity...

We got some rain last night. Not a whole lot down here in the valley, but the Arrowhead/ Big Bear typ. gets double what we get down here. You know that whole temp. drop/ air saturation thing. Last night the FS said that they had about 25% containment with an 11/08 containment date.

edit: OOPS! this was supposed to be on the other SoCal fire thread. :anon:

Last edited:
Cherokid said:
Re: the fires. They are a natural part of the 'system' and we should allow them to happen. Structures protected sure but from what I've read and seen fires are a vital part of the forest, clearing out what needs to be and releasing seeds that will only get released by fire. The forest will come back. It's been getting along with out us for a long time. It seems to me that when Mt. St. Helens went up and people went in to "clean up" those areas not cleaned recovered a lot faster.

I do agree though that this is a good opportunity to counter the greenies. They are taking public (yours and mine) land and making it....... whose?

Sounds like you might have been reading the propaganda of the green groups. Sure fires are natural......so are floods and earthquakes. How can it be possible to just let fires burn and yet protect structures and private property? A very niave philosophy.

Why can it be argued (by green groups) that it's good to just let fires burn, but it's bad to manage the forest with brush clearing, thinning, and prescribed burns. If fuel is removed, mostly brush and dead trees, fires can burn without so much damage, and then it's not such a problem with fewer catastrophic fires. But, when green groups sue to stop thinning and clearing, and tie up Forest personel and recources with those law suits, there is little chance for good management. They, and you, can't have it both ways.

Sure fires are natural, and are going to happen, but the situation can, and should, be managed to the benefit of both the forests and the people who live in and near them.

Jump This said:

If we need to point fingers...maybe someone could have found a way to deal with the beetle......
maybe faster availablity of air tankers could have helped....
maybe those of us who live near open space could have....

Lets face it people...
This probably could not have been prevented....
Rick

Dealing with the beetle problem has been a priority, as has dealing with the factors that allow the beetle to infest vast areas of the forests. Treating the cause of the beetles is a good place to change policy (what has been in planning for years).

The beetle is a nationwide problem, partially due to litigation efforts, and directly due to density problems and the competition this density places on scarce water resources. The bark beetle problem is primarly due to density problems, and how this high density impacts the forests ability to use the available watershed.

The density results in more trees competiting for the same water supply, and weakened trees are attacked by beetles, and diseased trees die.

Historically, fire thinned the dead and diseased trees, limiting the density every 30 years. The fire events were not passive burns, the burns were a combination of catastrophic events and mild wildfires. These fires displaced people, but the indigineous populations did not have semi-permanent structures like we do today, and the use of fire is no longer considered a valid tool in urban forests and grasslands (unless you believe technology can contain fire, at will, or you believe the radical agenda leaders who don't use logic).

How do you safely reduce the tree density in and around an urban forest?

The post-European settlement modern method is mechanical thinning (selective logging). Permits have been applied for, for selective logging, in the SBNF burn areas for over ten years. The efforts were modeled after successful pilot projects executed in USFS Experimental Forests. These 1980's pilot projects recorded documented success in fires as far back as 1994. The thinned areas acted as firebreaks, slowing the advance of wildfire, with less intense heat (allowing more of the standing trees to survive).

The success of these pilot thinning projects is the justification for Gov. Davis to declare the SBNF a State Disaster Area in May (six months after the first request). The first two requests to the State were turned down due to State Administrative leadership claiming that there was no proof that spending resources on thinning is a proven method of treatment. Proof was given, and the political challenges were battled. The voices of groups urging the leadership to turn down the SDA request, for their selfish agenda reasoning, were drowned out by residents who were organizing the first disaster evacuation plan in the history of the area.

The State must declare a disaster area before the federal government can act. Even now some aspects of the Federal action is stuck in Congress, as even CA's two Senators have opposing views on the use of Federal funds to thin tree stands on private land. Boxer opposes all thinning with adament opposition to funds cutting trees on private lands, the agenda of her supporters, and Feinstein changed her position and now supports funding thinning on public and private lands with federal forest oversight (she listened to her citizens, with a requirement the USFS and State Agencies select the trees to be cut). None of the effort advocates clear cutting of forests in the fashion advertised by the Heritage Forest Network, the Sierra Club, and their allies.

The density problems have been masked in debates shaped to falsely refocus the problem on beetles, and on opposition to mankind living in the forest, and on habitat protection as competition to fire protection and logging, and it's time for the public to be told the truth about successful cooperative forest management (including thinning as a prescribed fire prevention tool). Cooperation should work both ways, and not always solely to gain more ground for Wildlands.

For those who care:

"OHV Trail Check:

The Northern section of 3W12 and 3W13 burned over.

Most of 2W01 and Devil's Hole burned to Carbine Flats.

Dishpan (3N34) partially burned over.

Eastern Cleghorn burned over.

2N27Y, 2N28Y, 2N29Y and 2W11 all just east of Arrowhead was burned over.

T-6 crossing was burned over partially.

1N34 Cucamonga Trail from Lytle Creek to Upland was burned over in it's
entirely.

Most of the forest roads in the Arrowhead area are completely blocked by fallen trees.

Many trees are still on fire and falling.

Very dangerous situation.

There will be more chainsaw work this winter then ever before cleaning off OHV routes.

Also, there are a lot of new dozer lines and old roads that are exposed off of designated the forest road system.

When these designated roads are reopened to the public, OHV traffic might try to use these unauthorized routes as off road opportunities. Keeping the public on only the legal routes is expected to become a serious problem.

End"

Keep an open mind :) on solutions.

I ran Cleghorn last saturday 11/1 to get up to Arrowhead to check on our residence. The CHP prevented any other access.
:anon:

The side closer to the 15 still looks fine, closer to Silverwood its a warzone. I'm sure the trail will remain closed for some time (still). In the fire zone there werent any trees or brush left under 1.5" thickness. It was burned to the dirt.

I talked to the rangers in Big Bear today 11/7 and they said the trails are open. Arrowhead (Pinnacles) will remain closed indefinetly.

We're heading up to Big Bear tomorrow if anyone is interested.
See you on the trail.

Back