• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most Desirable front D44

Big Hank

NAXJA member #435
NAXJA Member
I just got my full width rear D60, Need to find a front to go along with it, I am sure this is asked all the time so i checked the search page and couldn't get anywere....but what is the most desirable front d44. I don't mind making spring pearches and mounts and all that stuff. I am sure it has to be done. But what about...

1. $$$ for maintainence
2. lockers
3. gears
4. interchangiblity of parts aomong other d44's
5. Availability of parts

and so on.

thanks for any help

gene MJ

Yep 77-79 F250. High pinion, 1/2" thick tubes, flat top knuckles, and very stout. In a close second, the 75-77 F150. Even older, if you swap on different knuckles and discs (early 75 and older have drums). F150 uses same 1/2" tubes, but lighter duty brakes and 5 lug opposed to 8 lug F250. Also, the F250 44s are around 69" IIRC. My 75 F150 44 is 66" with Dodge flat tops and discs. Do not go 78-79 D44 with cast radious arm mounts. Thinner tubes, and that cast mount means the only way to narrow it is to pull the tubes from the pig and cut them, and press them back in $$$. Plus, you can't attach brackets as easily to them. It takes skill and special rod to weld to the cast, can't just spit some weld from your mig.

Steve

My Waggy D44 cost me $100 bucks at local yard and widely available. That leaves me with quit a few spare shafts to go around when needed.

1255waggy2.JPG

The Ford HP are hard to come by at these neck of the woods.

Im running a HP44 ford F150 cut down to waggy size and used all waggy axles, brakes, etc. with new warn premuim hubs, used waggy steering for now with 1ton chevy high misalignment TRE at pitman arm
picture.JPG

Back