• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing tranny line connector with hose clamps

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
If the lower hose doesn't see much pressure, then cuttin off the crimped metal connection and putting two hose clamps on it will work right? I can get on clamp past the lip, and one clamp before the lip. POS $17 dealer connector is goin back tommrow

Not quite sure what you mean. We just replaced the radiator in our 89YJ which has an automatic tranny. The radiator came with 2 sets of 2 AT adapters that screw into the radiator and have about a 3" brass tube with a flare on the end for putting the tranny hoses over and clamping with a small hose clamp. The rad came with them but while walking thru the parts store last week I noticed the same thing over in the hoses and fuel filter section for about $8 for two of them, just have to make sure you get the right size thread for the radiator.
I'm replaceing the ones they sent with with some russell adapters and braided SS hose hopefully this weekend when we helicoil a stripped hole in one of the pan holes.

No these are different. Mine had a quick disconnect that slips over a niple. It's got metal connector crimped to the hose, and inside the metal housing is a removable plastic clip device. There is a lip on the nipple of radiator and it clips over that. I can get about 2-3" of hose on the nipple so I think two clamps would be enough for the pressure right?

I know what you are talking about. I just had my lower hose blow on me and was going to get an new one and would have to buy those connectors. The dealer calls them oil cooler repair kits. But for $30 CDN for the repair kit, that only comes with 1 connector. I opted for buying a $3 splice and to clamps, and repaired my old one.

As for what you want to do, I think there would be no problem with replacing the ends with just hose.

Alright guys, it's holding up so far. Thanks a million for the quick replies. I finished it up last night about 11pm thanks to the handy dandy house light sittin on the valve cover:D . Ran it for awhile and no leaks! Thanks again.

Adam

Back