• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air in the cooling system....

sstanton

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 with the closed system. A heater hose blew on me and after I replaced it and filled the system, It's running a littler hotter now. I'm sure I have some trapped air in the system. How do you remove it.

Thanks - Scott

Another trick that worked pretty well for me was to simply park on a slope with the rear end up. A steep driveway or a set of blocks unde teh rear wheels should do the trick. Make sure the thermostat has a "burp hole" in it as well so that trapped air has a place to go.

I was shown how to do it by the former service manager/shop foreman from the dealership where I bought my '88 (he also happens to be my brother's best friend).

Fill bottle halfway. Put cap on loosely. Start engine and allow to warm up until coolant in bottle boils. Shut off engine immediately and allow to cool down. As it cools, after a few minutes it will suddenly start sucking the coolant out of the bottle into the system. When you see that happening, add more coolant to keep level at the half mark.

When it stops sucking, start engine and repeat. It will probably require three or four cycles to get most of the air out.

I´ve tried various ways of burping the system. The quickest, especialy for the intitial run, after cooling system work. Is to start the motor, with the surge tank at least half full, cap on. When the motor gets to operating temp. squeeze the top radiator hose, with both hands at least half a dozen times (vigorously). Add a little coolant and repeat if necessary. Works much of the air, into the surge tank. Add some coolant and let the motor cool down and suck some more coolant into the system. Repeat the next day. This will remove the majority of the air quickly. A few more hot cold cycles will take care of the rest. I usually try to avoid stressing the cooling system with high speed runs, mountains or prolonged idle, until I´m sure most of the air is out of the system, which usually takes a few days.
A footnote, I´ve been reading some threads about flushing the radiator and heater core. Pressure over about 15 PSI in the radiator could cause damage. 30 PSI and something is subject to blow. Most garden hoses put out 90 PSI or more.

Back