• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How strong is the RE Hack n Tap?

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
friday is payday, and definatley need and SYE, Ive got 35" swamper locked f/r 456s, how do yall think the Hack n Tap would hold up, as opposed to the "heavy duty sye" thanks Kerry

At that lift I dont know why you would look into anything but a HD kit!You need all the help you can get with the operating angles.

If you do it right, it will hold up fine to some relaly extreme use. But only do it if you plan to eventually upgrade to an atlas or 300 or something else. I ran it, as well as many others do. If you are never going to upgrade your T-Case, do the HD kit. JMO

MATT

From write ups, I hear the instalation is very simple and easy, and I definatley like the idea of not having to drop the Xfer case! I`m ordering the kit friday, hope all goes well, thanks once again guys for answering my question exactly the way I wanted! Kerry

BIG98XJ said:
From write ups, I hear the instalation is very simple and easy, and I definatley like the idea of not having to drop the Xfer case! I`m ordering the kit friday, hope all goes well, thanks once again guys for answering my question exactly the way I wanted! Kerry

It is a good set up. I just installed mine a week or so ago. I feel very confident in how this works and no vibes or DW.

Curt

I was a little skeptical about the hack n tap at first, but this thing has stood up to some incredibly heavy useage. I've got major confidence in mine.

I'm going to be putting one on my 96 XJ during my winter break this year, I'm looking forward to the 4 weeks off!

Anyways, what are your guy's tips for this install? I've checked out multiple articles online and my dad is going to help me a lot on this, and he's really nervous about cutting and drilling into the tail shaft.

Robertb said:
I'm going to be putting one on my 96 XJ during my winter break this year, I'm looking forward to the 4 weeks off!

Anyways, what are your guy's tips for this install?
There's really not a lot to it. Use a good tap handle so you can turn it evenly. I've got some advice at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/sye.html and will look it over again tonight to see if anything sticks out. I know it doesn't mean anything toward the install but I will try to get a picture of the completed assebly as well if I have enough batteries on my camera.

I have done three, the easiest way was with a 7 1/4" skil saw and metalcutting blade. Wrap tape around the shaft @ the cut off mark and take it slow. will make a perfect cut, test fit the flange to make sure it sits flat, if not grind it a bit with a mini grinder. test fit again, then use the flange to align your hole to drill, use a center punch to mark it. drill keep level and square as possible tap and clean with brake cleaner and wire brush the splines. DONT FORGET TO APPLY AMPLE AMOUNT OF SILICONE THE SPLINES OF THE OUTPUT SHAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont it will leak

xjnation said:
DONT FORGET TO APPLY AMPLE AMOUNT OF SILICONE THE SPLINES OF THE OUTPUT SHAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont it will leak
Are you talking about a 96+ or the earlier one? I haven't seen any leaking yet with the 96 and don't expect to since there's already a seal there

Jim

Yucca-Man said:
Are you talking about a 96+ or the earlier one? I haven't seen any leaking yet with the 96 and don't expect to since there's already a seal there

Jim
Another proud owner of the Hack & Tap.
I did experience fluid leaks at first, but a Little RTV solved that problem.

The splines run "dry" on all years of th RE kit!

put it in gear and let it idle while you use a cutoff wheel. It makes for a much straighter cut with the shaft spinning slowly.

I am running the hack and tap on my 242 transfer case with 8 inches of lift and 35's. No problems as of yet. Had a heck of a time finding someone to make me a driveshaft though. Nobody wants to sell you one for fear of problems regarding the hack and tap. I talked Tom woods into building me one though. He was reluctant, but he finally gave in and built me one.

A note.

Put the truck in Reverse, cause thats the lowest gear.
I know low range is slower, but thats a bad idea.
E-brake and chock the wheels.
You will wonder why you ever worried about it once its done.
Yep, its that easy.
Good luck!
:yelclap:

get the HD one its not much more for a lot of piece of mind.

the only part bigger about teh HD is the output itself, the internal portion is the same.

Back