• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control

mn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
is it possable in an 86 mj 4 cyl???

Possible?

It's always possible; but are you asking if it was stock? I tried to retrofit factory cruise onto my '85 XJ 2.5l (which was retrofit with tbi and wiring from '86) but gave it up because I couldn't find it on an '86 at the junkyard and the newer models required me to change the wiring harness again. JC whitney makes a kit that I used on another vehicle but the controls clip onto the turn signal and I didn't want that on my XJ cause of the beating it would take while wheeling. With the torque we're running it might not work well at highway speeds anyway as we're always downshifting anyway. Unless you live where it's nice and flat.:) That said I'm still trying to scrounge something from the junkyard to run cruise control with.

I have an '84 4-banger Wagoneer XJ that has cruise, so it was available.

J.C. Whitney also sell an OEM look-alike cruise. I got one from Sears (probably the same kit) several years ago for my '88 4.0L and I have been very happy with it. The control is an exact replacement for the stock turn signal stalk.

Thanks again eagle

maybe my first search should become J.C. Whitney ? yikes
so can any one clue a noobie in on what a kit like this would take to install? i'm ass-u-me ing i'd need

1986 - 1992 Jeep Comanche Electronic Cruise Control with Vacuum Servo Kit 78ZX7724NF $169.99
/\

NOT
1986 - 1992 Jeep Comanche Electronic Cruise Control with Electronic Servo Kit 78ZX7618RF $249.99
/\

TIA ben

Back