• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using two thick coil spacers and UC coils?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... as I'm assembling parts for my own upcoming headache, I am starting to run out of $$ :( In any case, at the moment my rear is sitting at about 4.5" (probably closer to 4.25") and my front is just under 3.5". In any case, front is 1 bi poly spacer and up country coils..... what are the pros or cons of using two poly spacers? In the long run I want to get new coils, but now I want to install the arms and the RE Heavy Duty track bar, and the trackbar is made for lifts 4" and up.......

SO anyways, is there anything I'd be sacrificing with the additional spacer? I'd probably end up running it for couple months once it goes on....

Your coil will unseat sooner and MIGHT unseat enough for it to fall off if you have enough flex, that would be the only thing I could think of that might mess it up off-road. The only real disadvantage to using spacers instead of coils is the fact that they won't expand as far to keep a lot of force on the drooping tire.

xj92 said:
Your coil will unseat sooner and MIGHT unseat enough for it to fall off if you have enough flex, that would be the only thing I could think of that might mess it up off-road. The only real disadvantage to using spacers instead of coils is the fact that they won't expand as far to keep a lot of force on the drooping tire.

what he said, by stacking coils you will reduce the length of the upper bumpstop, which helps keep the coil where it should be.

I agree with Chuck. "thick coil spacers" had me thinking of 2 of the 1.75" spacers for a total of 3.5".

I ran a 3.5" steel spacer for about 6 months. The springs made alot of noise but they never came unseated. Just lucky I guess. Went on some pretty harry trails too.

Remi,

I'll also agree with size of spacer has nothing to do with a spring unseating. Unseating has to do with the length of shock compared to the length of coil. Or another way of saying it; length of coil to travel of front suspension, however the droop is limited, shock, arm or strap will determine coil unseating. Anyhow, just buy a set ACOS. :D

mark
orgs mfg

An additional plus to running a lot of spacer height is that the top coil seat is moved forward eliminating the dragging of the coil across the bump stop at full droop.

I run the OME 930 coils that don't give much more lift than an UC coils. With the addition of a terraflex 2" and 3/4 inch spacers and no stock isolator I net 4" lift. I have DT 3000 10" travel shocks with a 1" BPE that centers the shock at mid travel. At full droop the spring just starts to unseat and I at full stuff with 2" of bump stops (hockey pucks) I use all the available up travel on the shock and stuff my 32s very nicely. A Longer spring would not give me anymore travel. PM me with your email, and I will send you a gratuitous flex shot from the recent Moab trip and a close-up of the spring and shock at full droop

Duane

Back