• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new 1987 XJ

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
HI all,

I just picked up a 1987 2door XJ Laredo 4.0 from a friend. It was imorted from Canadian and has 260,000 kilometers on it.

My wife has been driving the 2wd Sport models for the past 10 years and I know the motors and chassis are strong, but nothing about the 4wd systems. Are there any things to watch out for on '87 models? Also, this is my first 4wd vehicle.

Thanks,
Copperhead- NH, USA

If it's a Laredo it could be automatic or 5-speed, and it could have either of two transfer cases. Flip down the driver's side sun visor and tell us if it says Command-Trac or Selec-Trac.

Both are good transfer cases. 260,000 km is nothing. That's only 156,000 miles. I'd suggest just going through and changing ALL fluids, then drive it and watch for signs of problems. By all fluids, that should include:

Coolant
Brake fluid (and clutch, if so equipped)
Both differentials
Transfer case (Dexron auto tranny juice)
Transmission

Thanks,

The Jeep is at the shop getting a NH state inspection. It is a 5 speed manual, I'll have to wait till tomorrow to check which transfer case it has.

Copperhead

No need to check. The 5-speeds only came with Command-Trac -- the NP231. Do not use 4WD on dry pavement.

One thing to watch out for on an 87 is a D44 rear axle, "shaped like a stop sign" some will say. It's a good thing to have a D44.

Does it have the D44 rear axle?

Instead of being roundish, ovalish, it's more...roundish ovalish w/ a bottom part protruding(I think the 8.25 is more like a stop sign...:p).

Teron

Back