• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Stabilizer bar

Is your rear stabilizer bar still installed?

• Completely removed

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • Disconnect and reconnect depending on what I'm doing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Left in place

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleau

NAXJA Forum User
How many ppl have disconnected or completely removed their rear stabilizer bar? Has it adversely affected your road riding, if you have removed it? Are there any major drawbacks?
Thanks!
Dave

My Jeep came stock without one with the upcountry. I see no need for it, I guess.

Curt

I caution that anyone who considers removal of the front anti-sway bar an opening for litigation, and exposure for negligence claims, should agree removal of the rear anti-sway bar demands the same recognition of compromised litigation exposure in the event of an accident investigation.

If you cannot, in good conscience, shoulder the personal responsibility demanded in a decision to remove an anti-sway bar, I recommend you remove neither front or rear anti-sway bar.

I offer the fact that there is no Federal or State regulation identifying an anti-sway bar (front or rear) as a required safety device, or identifying an anti-sway bar as a critical design component to assure vehicle stability. Contrary to popular urban legend, an anti-sway bar is neither a critical suspension design component required by any regulatory agency, nor is it's removal identified in safety prohibitions governing the rules of racing sanction organizations.

The removal of an anti-sway bar is not identified as a potential safety hazard, or prohibited in competition, in the same fashion as lift blocks on the front axle and suspension of a modified leaf spring vehicle.

This information is not intended to absolve anyone of the need to drive within the limits of a vehicle's performance envelope for the suspension and drivetrain configuration, it is intended to clarify misconception of any regulatory mandate regarding a need to manufacture or maintain the presence of an anti-sway bar as required vehicle safety equipment (and to head off a debate based on opinion).

IMO, removal of an anti-sway bar should only be explored by individuals willing to slow down and accept that it may compromise the handling of the vehicle in panic situations (be it removal of the rear, or front, anti-sway bar).

Took my rear one out and didn't notice any difference on the road at all. I still have it somewhere if I need to put it back in for some reason. Did notice it off road though, better flexxy.(technical term):D
But removing the front one could be fatal at highway speed and a winding road

rear sway bar

Pretty much what Ed Stevens said....
But let me add: :lecture: I work for the people who made your Jeep. After removing said swaybar, if you roll it over and "vegitate" or kill the occupants of your vehicle...don't come looking to us for "pain and suffering"! We put that anti-sway bar on there to help control excessive lateral movement (especially in panic situations). Read the owners manual :rtm: . That's our ticket out!
Have you noticed that they (US Gov't) are going to start establishing roll-over criteria and specifications for SUV's? This will certainly lead to increased use of rear anti-sway bars and in some "higher-end" vehicles, Active Stability control...where a computer takes over your vehicles controls if it senses excessive lateral movement.
Considering all the "homebrew" stuff I see out there, there is NO reason why rear disconnects can't be produced and utilized on XJ's with existing rear bars.
BLUTO :)

What rear swaybar??:confused: If Jeep didn't find it necessary to equip my Jeep with a rear swaybar even when I have the towing package, I don't think I need one either. I have the up-country package which deletes the swaybar. I've never noticed any ill effects as compared to other vehicles I tow with, and it handles just fine. I drive too fast, and I know it, and I don't feel that the lack of a rear swaybar makes it any more dangerous. The front swaybar on the other hand, makes a huge difference, don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

BTW, Ed what is it that you do for a living?? Whenever I've read in depth suspension threads within groups of people that know you, someone always says, "I hope Ed will chime in on this thread" so I've often wondered where you got your obviously large knowledge base. :)

Ary

That's all true of course, but the fact remains the stock rear swaybar in the Cherokee is so small that it is virtually unnoticable when removed - even when cornering hard. I imagine this is partly because most of the weight is up front.

I would hardly consider the removal of the REAR swaybar a safety issue as long you keep the front in place. Running without a front bar is, IMO, a definant safety issue. But since this thread is about the rear bar only that's not really relevant.

daveleau said:
How many ppl have disconnected or completely removed their rear stabilizer bar? Has it adversely affected your road riding, if you have removed it? Are there any major drawbacks?
Thanks!
Dave

I removed my rear bar and didn't notice that much of a difference onroad....but the point is I did notice a difference. I also replaced all the rubber bushings on the front bar with polyurethane...which I would highly recommend you do, regardless of whether or not you decide to remove the rear (if you keep the rear you can put poly back there too).

As Ed stated (and Bluto echoed), removal of a sway bar DOES compromise the handling characteristics of the vehicle. It might be slight, but it is there. I accepted that, noted the difference and drive the vehicle accordingly.

The major drawback is, you do so at your own risk...

While there might not be any laws (currently) in regards to anti sway bars, the NHTSA is conducting numerous investigations into excessive roll overs in SUV's and Congress (along with the NHTSA) is currently deciding "regulatory agenda and policy direction" in roll over criteria for SUV's. There are even lawyers ready to sue anyone they can whenever there is a rollover accident. http://www.suvrollovernews.com/

Again, what Ed Stevens said.

Good Luck Dude and Rock On!

Steve

EDIT - Fixed typo

i had to remove it because of the lift kit i used(stupid blocks). i still have it and plan on reistaling it with some home made disco when i do the dakota leaf.

I pulled mine and tossed it in the dumpster. I know I drive an SUV, not a sports car. I'll refrain from repeating what everyone else has said, but I weighed my options and factored in how I drive, and I decided it wasn't worth having it back there...

Edit: Who dug up this old thread?! I just noticed how old it is!

Last edited:
lockd.gif
Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back