• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could a bad TPS cause the tranny to start out in 2nd? HELP

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just had my tranny rebuilt less than 1K ago, heavy duty clutches and a shift kit also. Its starting out in 2nd gear once again, but the symptoms are different. When the shifter is in drive it starts out in 2nd, when I thow it down into 1&2 it starts out in 1st like it should.( Before I got the tranny rebuilt it would start out in 2nd no matter what!) Would a TPS cause this??

it certainly "could" be the TPS... i had an 89 a few years back that started acting up after i "gunked" the engine..... it would start out in low gear and would proceed thru the gears and into converter lock-up beofre 30 mph!! would only shift normal if the foot was on the floor under W.O.T. acceleration... good luck..
mike

i had to replace the tps on my '92 xj, i was told it has the toyota transmission, the problem was that the transmission wouldnt shift gears until i was around 4500 rpm and the engine idle was all over the place. once i replaced it the transmission ran like new, and the best part was how cheap it was!

Back