• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c switch

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
the air conditioning fan on my '92 xj doesnt work anymore - the a/c was decompressed when i put a new engine in and i never put new freon in it so i dont mean it wont get cold - the fan just doesnt blow at all. previously it only worked on high. im thinking its the switch, but any other ideas are welcome of course, and also any info on how to fix whatever you think is wrong. Thanks!

There is a resistor pack that controls the speeds -- the switch routes current through the appropriate resistor. But when the resistor pack goes bad it should operate on high. Could be the switch, but I've gone through two fan motors on an '88. The connector plug for the fan is under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall. I'd suggest unplugging that and using a multimeter to verify that you have or don't have power to the fan before ripping into the dashboard to replace a switch that may not be bad.

I too had the problem of only the fan working in low & high..
I just unplugged the resistor pack to see it & had intended to work on it another day & when I buttoned it back together it worked..... bad connection I guess.
Something to look into. The link I had doesn't work anymore.
Try a search on HVAC thermal link.
Good Luck !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back