• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toggle switch for winch

goin4wheelin

NAXJA Forum User
i'm planning to make me an in cab winch controller and wondering where can i get the toggle switch just like the toggle on the factory winch control(on/off/on).
most of the switch i found dont flip back to off position.
where can i get those switch online?

thanks

Radio Shack!

They have those at Radio Shack. I think it is called a 3 position momentary switch. They return to center to the off position. I have my winch wired this way but I can also still use the hand remote to the winch.

HTH,

Dan

www.radioshack.com
275-709.jpg

Single Pole Double Throw or S.P.D.T with (on) off (on). () means momentary action.

This is exactly the type switch you will need, so you know what you're looking for.Del City

This is where I buy all my elecrical supplies, but I believe they only sell wholesale. You need a business license to buy from them.

Just get to googling.

Dan

I think it is a single pole. you only have one power source, and you're diverting which way the electricity goes to make the solenoids work forward or reverse. How many wires does your hand control have? Don't know what brand of winch you guys are using, but my warn has three wires, and I use a SPDT, and it works.

Dan

Just open up you r solenoid box, and find the wires that go to the remote plug. Connect additional wires to the original connections, and run them to your dash or wherever you want your new switch. Then find out which one is hot, this will be your power source for your new switch. This will probably go to the middle terminal on the switch, check the wiring diagram for switch. Then connect the other wires to the other terminals. You may need to swap the last two wires around to make the switch flip in the direction you want the winch to work.

That's It.

Dan

I just cut my old controler apart and ran the wires through the jeep. I kept the original faceplate for the switch with the feed/retract pictures on it and mounted it in the center console. It was really easy. I have a 2" reciever mount for the winch so because I kept the original plug I can disconnect the winch without pulling individual wires. A second controller can be used if I want to be outside the vehicle. Not dirt cheap, but simple, elegant and reliable.
mattk

jeepnuts311 said:
warn m8000, the remote has 5 wires, not 3. how would i wire this up to a momentary switch?

thanks
-Tim

Have you opened up the solenoid box? There should only be 3 wires, even though the plug had 5 holes/pins in it.

-Dan

There should be 3 power wires and possibly 2 grounds. If you do a google for "in cab winch control" there are a TON of writeups for this.

Piece of cake, just did this a couple weeks ago.
3 wires control the solenoids. green, brown and black. Run these into the cab. I ran them in the passenger side on my 01 XJ through the grommet for the fan/a.c controls near the condensor canister. Pick up 12 volts inside the cab and run a short piece to ground. Use a single pole, double throw on-off-on switch. The green and brown control the solenoids in and out, common ground for the solenoids, 12 v power and ground to the center contact on the switch. pick a spot, drill a hole, throw on a red guard switch and you're done.
Great mod, no more running around with the remote cable hanging out the window, or getting rolled up in the window, the control unit doesn't flop around, and the winch is readily available when you need it.
Oh yeah, I have an M-8000 also.

Good luck

Back