• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing radiator, auto tranny line diconnects???

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
Got my 3 row CSF from Dirk today, got everything out, but can't figure out the disconnects on the tranny lines. Someone help me!!

You probably have the slip connection. You can buy a set of special tools at Autozone, O'Reilly, etc. for about $5. They are plastic and slip over the metal line and you push it into the connection and it disconnects. My fuel lines are the same way, just a smaller size.

Thanks, I finally got it with some pliers, but the white plastic is still on the nipple of the old radiator. I'm asumming that it was supposed to come out together right,lol?

If yours are original ones they will have two plastic tabs you need to squeeze together and pull off. If they have been replaced the metal clips inside need to be squeezed with a tool like discribed above.

mark
orgs mfg

You have the old style, and the nylon clip tends to stay on the nipple when disconnected.

You will need to get a renewal kit for the fitting - it's OEMR and I think it's about $10 or so. It's a new clip, two orings, a spacer, and the pintle to install them all. I've tried reusing them before, and they tend to leak if you do. Try to keep a few on hand for anytime you have to get into those lines, or just convert to an external cooler and -AN fittings like I did...

5-90

You can also go to the dealer and buy repalcement oil cooler lines. They are one piece and run from the transmission to the radiator.

The "new" lines will have the improved coupling, that the one with the 4 metal clips to hold the joint together. I replaced mine on my 88 XJ when I installed the Mopar aux trans cooler. I had the hot trans line seeping through the rubber so I did not take a chance with it failing.

If you change the lines you can reuse the plastic ears at the transmission, that what the parts guys told me to do.

The parts guys also told me they went to the new style connector with metal over the plastic ear version because they had lots of customers have a line become disconnected. They said when it happened it was quite the mess.

My advice is to replace the lines since the rubber is over 10 years old, and if you plan on towing then install the aux trans cooler. The advantage of the mopar cooler is no cutting of lines, just drops in once you remove the front bumper.

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll look into the new lines, but will probably try to get by with the old connector till friday, then buy a new one or two.How hard is it to replace the lines all the way back to the tranny? It's dark so I'm not gonna go look, but how/where do they connect to the tranny also. And how much ya pay for the mopar tranny cooler? Do most dealers have them still or they sell out like everything else mopar when the cherokee quit production? Thanks,

Adam

The long line from the lower Trans fitting to the tranny cost me $34 last week.Dlr gives me good discount,retail was about $45
Wayne

Are these available someplace other than the stealership? I don't get any deals there and I do elsewhere. Mine are leaking a little. Also, does the aux cooler bypass the radiator or are they in series?? Pix would be helpful if someone has them.
Sorry for the partial Hijack effort!!

You should be able to buy the Aux trans cooler for the XJ even though it is out of production. There are Federal laws which require manufactures to supply spare parts for 7 or 10 years.

Three years ago I paid $80 or $85 for the Aux oil cooler kit. It came with the cooler, the hose attached, and instructions. The cooler attached to the bulkhead behind the bumper. I hear alot of aftermarket coolers just attache to the AC condensor with wire ties. It also come with the anti- rub stuff on the rubber line so when it runs over the steering box the line has some protecton. It is those little things I appreciate.

The cooler looks small but it's finned area is 3" x 16" for a total of 48 sq inches. When you look at more square coolers keep that number in mind.

The aux cooler is plumbed in series - trans, radiator, aux cooler, trans. There been lots of talk of why it is that way over the years on here. I decided to stay stock then any mechanic who works on it will know what they have.

In the past month I ordered a new muffler and tail pipe from the dealer. the last model year Jeep used them the XJ was 1993. If I can get exhaust parts then you sould be able to get a aux trans cooler.

Remember XJs do get in accidents and parts have to be replaced. An Aux trans cooler can be damaged just like a fender or bumper.

When replacing trans cooler lines is essentially no more work to change both lines vs one line. The new lines will have the improved coupling so while you are at the dealer ask them to show you the "tool" to disconnect them. When I asked there was a mechanic at the window, he brought me his set of AC line tools and told me where to get a set.

$17 for a new connector! The dealership bent me over again,lol. But it don't come in till tommrow. I asked about skids, aux cooler and numerous other things while i was in there b/c I don't go there often. They showed aux coolers still around for $80 bucks or so. It does looks small, but 48 sq. inches more would be nice,lol. Anyways, can I go ahead and fill up the radiator without the tranny lines connected? I believe I can since it just circulates only tranny fluid right? I don't plan on starting the engine or nuttin, just wanna get ahead of the game if I can. Bare with me, still learning.

Adam

5Cent said:
, can I go ahead and fill up the radiator without the tranny lines connected? I believe I can since it just circulates only tranny fluid right?
Adam

Yes and Yes.

They are two seperate areas in the rad.

mark
orgs mfg

Thanks for the quick reply. It's actually to hard to get to the lower tranny connection with the lower radiator hose on so I'll just hold out till tommrow;). Thanks again for all those who have helped. Don't know what I woud do with ya!
Adam

Yup, you can fill the radiator...it doesn't come in direct contact with the tranny fluid. Think of it as 2 seperate radiators in one. :)

You mean u just put the rubber hose over the nipple and used a simple hose clamp? LOL, I was actually debating on doing this, but figured I better go the right way, but if it works, i'm all over it!

Back