• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie question on CA's

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,
Wow, what a wealth of knowledge here! I can't believe I am just discovering this site!

Ok, well, first a little on my rig. I have a 91 XJ with a mixed-bag 4"-4.5" lift. I have ordered a pair of RE 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf pack that will go with my RRO extended shackles. I have the JB HD 231 w/SYE and Tom Woods drive shaft. My thoughts were to keep my Pro Comp LCA's (from 3" Kit) and also my stock UCA's.
However, I have noticed some clunking on the driver's front that I think is from worn UCA bushings. Was thinking about the Quadratek new arms, (found info while searching this site:) ), but then got to thinking maybe I should look into longer CA's.

What do you think?

Ok, enough rambling for now. Ask away if there is any info I need to give you to help.

TIA!
T

Well, I have been doing some extensive digging on this site. I found a chart for CA measurements, and it looks like up to 4.5" lift the UCA should stay at the stock 15", so I guess I should just get the new pair from Quadratec, right?

However the lca's are a different story.

You really need some Good arms with that lift.I would throw away those PC arms(I did three times).If you are into serious flex then go RE Super-flex fixed lowers and adj. uppers!

Thanks for the reply RCP Phx,
Ouch, more $$$!
Oh well, I thought as much. Wondered if I might get away with stock uppers and new lowers.

I've used stock UCA's on mine up to about 5 inches. They woek fine. When I moved my LCA mounts up, even with the bottom of the axle tube, I just welded (added on) about an inch to the UCA's. I only did this because the new LCA mounts pushed the axle about an inch and a half forward and I had way too much castor. My junk gets wheeled hard about once every couple of months and has held up great. Flexing alot in the front will kill UCA bushings on the axle end, so plan ahead and get some spares.

Dan

Thats why you want the RE Super-flex uppers also.They take alot of the stress off the front bushings.

Thanks guys,
Hmmmm...... I DO like the idea of saving some money and going with stock uca's:D
Maybe I will go ahead and do the lift install and, after settling, see what I get.
Thanks again!

Bingo...lift it up and see what you get. Set your wheelbase to stock 101.5" and measure caster/drive it. If you are at about 6* and it rides ok you're "ok". If not get an adjustable upper and start adjusting. Use the chart for a baseline, but honestly if you set the wheelbase its all about setting a comfortabe caster for you and your rig after that with the uppers.

P

Dont even try to compensate the wheelbase on an XJ,at least not above 31's.The charts suck,they dont take into acount the "arc-movements".My 32's rubbed on the front wheel well at 5" w/ 16" arms!

Well I bit the bullet and bought the complete RE 4.5" lift including adjustable uppers and lowers. I was thinking I should adjust the lowers to achieve stock 101.5" wheelbase and then adjust uppers to get best caster, whatever that is:)
Does this sound like the best approach? I am assuming my caster should be a little different from what they will want to do at the alignment shop.

Hey, thanks everyone for your help! I really appreciate it!

Back