• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock the front or rear?

LED-Lightbars

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking to install a locker in either the front or rear, but don't know which would be better. Most of my driving is on the road and my wife drives the cherokee alot, so i don't want her to have to fight it to much. please advise

2000, auto, chy 8.25, 2"BB, in AZ(no snow)

Do you have a LSD in the rear?

My thoughts would be:

If not ARB the rear first.

If so ARB the front first.

mark
orgs mfg

If you daily drive the rig alot. I'll go with locking the front with a lunch box locker and save the funds for a LS.
I ran just the front locked for months and was able to keep up with the big dawgz that had F&R locked.

look at the physics of it. when you go forward weight transfers off the front axle and onto the rear.

Spent the summer watching a bud wheel his rig with just a locked front and the physics holds true...everytime he's squirt forward up a ledge, the wieght would then transfer backwards and both fronts would spin as all the wieght was now on the rear axle.

When it would grab it worked great though.

A front locker is a nice thing to have, but if you're going to just do one, do the front if you climb. IMHO.

Just a thought, but if the weight is transferring to the rear, then that means you're more likely to spin a front tire, which would mean a locker would benefit the front as much or more than the rear since the rear has traction while climbing anyways, even without a locker. With that said, I had one in just the rear on my last vehicle and it was awesome compared to not being locked. I'm putting one only in the front of my Jeep for now because it's the cheapest option without losing daily driving ability.

xj92 said:
Just a thought, but if the weight is transferring to the rear, then that means you're more likely to spin a front tire, which would mean a locker would benefit the front as much or more than the rear since the rear has traction while climbing anyways, even without a locker. With that said, I had one in just the rear on my last vehicle and it was awesome compared to not being locked. I'm putting one only in the front of my Jeep for now because it's the cheapest option without losing daily driving ability.

Not a matter of completely lifting a tire here, just the unweighting of both (regardless of angle). (similar as to how a REvolver shackle will kepp you tire on the ground but it will have no weight there so no torque transfer...ergo...no go.

Like when you launch a front wheeled drive car at the drags...as the weight transfers to the rear the front tires spin (not lift), on a rear wheel drive car as it launches the ass plants and the car gets traction.

I used to think the front would be the best just for the reasons you started but really watch someone with just a front locker wheel a section and then do it with the rear locked. WORLD of difference.

I would and did lock the front first. With a Lockrite in the front I was able to follow the same line as the guy infront of me who was locked in the rear only up at Tellico. Now I didnt go and do the really tough stuff ie: Lower 2 and Gardrail because of the lack of a rear locker.

Go with a front first because your wife will never know its there until she shifts it into 4 wheel drive. Or you can get an seclectable locker in the rear and still not know its there on the road.

AARON

I would definately go with an ARB in the rear. That way when the switch isn't engaged your wife won't even know that it's there. And I would put it in the rear because in most situations you will have most of the vehicle weight on the rear which will translate into the most traction when the locker is engaged.

MrShoeBoy said:

Go with a front first because your wife will never know its there until she shifts it into 4 wheel drive. Or you can get an seclectable locker in the rear and still not know its there on the road.

AARON

LOL!!!! That was my real test of the No-Slip! I did the install and then let kel take the pig to the store...she came home and asked, "What did you do toit again? It drives fine...."

Only time she notices is when we're on the trail now!
5.jpg

Both my front and rear are open. I looked at getting a factory trac-loc, but for a bit more i can get a aussie locker. Plus, the trac-loc wears out.

I know the front be more invisible than the rear. I don't worry about myself driving as i like the "truck ride" of modified vehicles. I'm more worried about my wife hitting the gas on a wet day(in AZ???) and sliding all over the road if the locker is in the rear.

Also, will a non-selectable locker in the front make any noise? How much noise could I expect from a non-selectable locker in the rear?

Once again, thanks for all your input as i bounce ideas off everyone!

I have a powertrax no-slip in the rear and after it settled down a little I dont notice it unless I juice it around a turn as for the lockright in the front I never notice except on the trail. But I dont know how they will react in the rain since it hasent rained in like 6 months.

Just lock it up, tell her it drives differently and to get used to it. With the added cofidence in the increased traction, she'll be the Queen of the Mall Parking Lot in no time. My wife actually digs the way the tires chirp when turning.

Dan

From what I have been told, locking the front will not mess with your daily driving. If you lock the rear you may find yourself into oncoming traffic when it decides to steer your car for you. If you go limited slip on rear and lock the front, I suspect you will be doing pretty well.

Curt

h.curtis said:
From what I have been told, locking the front will not mess with your daily driving. If you lock the rear you may find yourself into oncoming traffic when it decides to steer your car for you. If you go limited slip on rear and lock the front, I suspect you will be doing pretty well.

Curt

Well, that's not the advise I gave you. An automatic locker in the rear is no big deal. If you have a no-slip you'll hardly notice it, it's it's of the lock-right variety you'll notice it, but it very liveable. It's not going to throw you into oncoming traffic. If it did, they would have a huge liability to deal with.

I've got lock rites front and rear. Only notice the rear if I'm gassing it around a corner. and occasionally getting on or off the gas when going down the hiway. Pulls a little (not to the other lane) Just a couple of drives and you'll be used to it and be ready for that.

Love being locked FRT/REAR on the trail.

Having ARB's front and rear allows me to be locked however I want. It is my opinion that locking the front is of more advantage than locking the rear in most cases. Locking the front will allow the tires to climb obstacles instead of being pushed up them by the rear. I wheel in the wet slippery regions of northern WI and often one front wheel will be trying to climb a log or rock while the other is on slick muddy ground. If I lock the front, the tire will climb right up the obstacle where it wouldn't if unlocked. Once the front is up and over, the rear just seems to follow locked or not in most cases. These are just my observations. Jeff

Beezil, how long have you been welded in the rear? How is it on the road? Mines a DD and a trail vehicle. It sees the trail pretty regular and anywhere from 2.5-4.0 trails. What type of locker up front would be the best setup? I'm not too versed on lockers, just know detroit and ARB. Dont have the $ for detroits either. Running 3:55 right now with 33's open f & r and would like to go 4:10's with some type of locker and welded rear. TIA Jeff CamoXJ

Back