• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fires....everyone still OK?

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Richard, is your dad's place OK?

How about you SD folks, smokey I'm sure, but everyone getting out of the way?

CRASH

It came within 200 yards of my work on Sunday. Didn't make it over the freeway by us. It did jump just down the road about 1/4
mile. It's really smokey in the building today.

My mom said its some of them are close to my aunts/cousins..... havent talked to them yet though...hope they are ok.

I watched the cbs2 news last night on the dish and thought about some of y'all. That is some crazy sh!t!! :eek: I can't imagine what it is like to be like to live through that. Our thoughts and prayers are with you So. Cal. guys for sure.

I'm doing real good in Carlsbad.. ..

My work is near Dave's work (Balboa and 163 between the 15 and 163 near Montgomery Field) and we're told to stay home Monday and Today.

Went surfing Monday and plan to today. I'm lucky but a lot of others inland will be starting from scratch. I just hope they have insurance.

I'm not an insurance agent but once a year After Christmas I video tape out house inside and out going over every item - name, brand, special features etc. Do the same with our cars.

Takes about 2 hour to do then keep a copy in our safe and one at work.

We had our neighbors house burn down in a Santa Ana and we had wood shingle roofs. They were all OK but they lost everything. They came over from South Vietnam in the 70's and all they have to remember thier parents and family were the pictures. The things they missed the most were pictures of their parents, baby kids pictures, yearbooks, family video tapes. so plan accordingly.

Also heard communications with some people has been a problem, good time to get your Ham license. Lots of them are helping with communications across the county.

Ray

Our neighborhood has been ON ALERT since yesterday and the smoke has increased SO MUCH that your eyes burn just being outside. The skies where I live are SO smokey that the sun is blood red and you cant see more than a 1/4 mile in any direction.
At work we watched the fires crest and come over the hill in Poway and the SDCFD has predicted that the fires will jump I-15 at Deer Springs Rd. That will affect Valley Center and the surrounding areas.
Not looking too good !!

Scott,

Ramona is a MESS !!!! There are areas that are devastated and other areas that have gotten off lightly.
Presently the fire has regaining strength in the outer areas. One of the fires has a front of over 45 miles.
My area is ON ALERT and has been since early yesterday. Not sure when we will be asked to evacuate.
This morning (early AM) the smoke was so bad that when you turn on the patio lights you can see the light beams in the smoke. Right now the sun is blood red and you can't see past a 1/4 mile. The air quality is so bad where I work that everyone was sent home.
Times like this you find out who your friends are and are not !!!

Give me a call on my cell: 858 349-9919 if I can help with your relatives.

Damn, you guys hang in there. :(
I assume it's hot as hell down there too? It's still in the 90s here in S.F.

Jes

I guess I should watch the news more (but I find it mostly depressing anyhow, and I get my information from non-mass-media sources...)

Do they have any idea what started all this? Is it as bad as the Oakland Hills fires in 1991? I was right in the middle of those, so it gives a frame of reference...

Hopefully, the pavement won't catch down there!

Good luck and God bless.

5-90

It's not as bad as the '91 fires up your way, but it's second I believe, as of about 2:00p the count was 1500 homes (not structures, homes :(). There are several fires, some of which have merged. Some of them were arson :mad:, some carelessness, some unknown. The Santa Ana winds are really pushing them on.

Perspective:

At home in Redondo (over 40 miles from the closest fire) on Sunday the air was smokey (by smell and sight), the sun was a very sickly golden from smoke, and my XJ was covered in ash.

Today in downtown L.A. the air sucks, there's ash, and the sun is that sickly gold.

Hope everybody gets out of this good.

Sequoia

The fires were burning down house about 4 blocks from my uncles house on Sat. night....scary stuff they almost had to evacuate them out of there. I talked with him after words and he said he had his Jeep, D44, Ford 9", and lift kit already on the trailer hooked up to the tow rig ready to go, there was no way it was taking his Jeep or axles...lol He's a true Jeeper! :D

I just heard from my dad who talked to my uncle in Ramona. The fire went south of town but my cousins best friend lost his house.

CharlesS said:
Scott,

Times like this you find out who your friends are and are not !!!

Amazing thing friendship. Shouldn't take it for granted and certaily shouldn't give it up so easily either. Right Charles?

GRNT

no bueno!

I Live and work in Redlands, .75 mi off of hwy 38. From where I'm at, I can go 6mi. within a 80* arc and roast marshmellows. I have seen the flames and smoke work from Cajon pass and is now nearing Running springs. Anyone hear from mgolden? thats where he lives. Manditory evac now for there, Big Bear,Barton flats, Seven Oaks, Angelus Oaks,Forest Falls and Mtn. Home Village.I've heard rumor that volentary evac for Greenspot( upper Mentone ) The schools here are going to be closed here tomarrow. It appears that the fire has gotten up into the canopy. That coupled with 20% (IMO ) of the trees being dead due to the bark beetle. I would say that the % is higher as you go west towards Crestline(towards Cajon pass). You can't really trust the tv news too much. They are trying to give accurate info, they get their locations a little mixed up.
I heard a report of looting in San Bernardino, but with the entire Mountain area evacuated, I sure more of the scumbags will crawl out from the ashes:mad:
My enpathy for the residents is frustrating. There are many vacation homes up there, but this is going to really, really be rough on the regular Joe's.

Please keep the prayers coming! :angel:

Tim B

T Bent you are right, you can not tust the news. My dad is fighting the fire in Piru now, and possibly tonight or tomorrow he will go to San Diego. He says the news is all wrong.

In Ventura County the smoke and ash is horrible, but I'm sure it's worse closer to the fires. We haven't seen blue sky in Camarillo for 3 days, all we get is the red sun and falling ash. My xj(white) was covered in ash, so I washed it today. That stuff sticks to paint pretty good after a few days:( .

:angel: May all our prayers be with the firefighters and the families who's homes are threatened.:angel:

How about Ed S.

Has anyone heard from Stevens ? I believe he has a place up there....
I've got a co worker who has a place in Big Bear, fortunately not much in the way of valuables or momentos so thats a good thing.
Someone needs to find the BASTARDS ! who started this....
Be safe....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back