• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Lockers?

buddha

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 96 cherokee classic with a 5.5 rubicon express lift and want to put on bigger tyres.Looking at 33s or 34s no bigger.As im doing that i need my ratios done so will be looking at either 4.56 or 4.88s.
So, when i get the ratios done i want to lock myself as well.At the moment i have a LSD in the rear but dont know how much it really works.So i was thinking about getting rid of it and putting in a Detroit locker.
Question 1. is Is that enough?If i look at putting one in th front i have been told the detroit might be too harsh a ride.The Cherro is my daily driver so i do want to retain some comfort.Id go ARB lockers but really dont want to fork ou tthat sort of money.What would any of you guys do?
My jeep normally sits in the garage most of the week and normally only comes out to play on the weekends,but is also used as the family wagon for holidays interstate.
The main type of wheelin i do is lots of bush tracks and in winer snow and mud.

I have a Detroit in the rear and I'm a big fan of it. It does unlock at the wrong time sometimes and push you a little sideways, but not out of the lane or anything like the lurching a shorter wheelbase wrangler can get. I've gotten used to it in my daily driver. Off road you can't beat it.
Living in Austrailia though I would wonder what Kind of a deal you could get on an ARB. It has a few reliability issues, but overall, open on the street and locked at the flick of a switch is the way to go. Detroit is just a lot cheaper for me and almost as good. Hope this helps
mattk

ARBs are great, push the button and you're locked. they are pretty strong as well. I ran dual ARBs in my old YJ after switching from LockRight and it was night and day difference on road.
right now I have OX locker in my XJ and I will be putting an ARB in the front.

Back