• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas milage w/ 33" tires

if your worried about milage dont lift it. my cherokee still gets 20 mpg with 30's and the 4runner still gets 25+ with 33's. it just depends on how you drive it.

DARKFLY said:
if your worried about milage dont lift it. my cherokee still gets 20 mpg with 30's and the 4runner still gets 25+ with 33's. it just depends on how you drive it.

I am concerned about mileage and Ilifted 5.5 and will have 33's. What is wrong with asking about what mileage to expect before doing something? It is a good question.

Curt

It's hard to say exactly what you will get. I have almost the same combo you have, just different tires (trxus M/T's). Your gas mileage will definitely go down somewhat. Bigger, heavier tires with a lot more rolling resistance; even less aerodynamic when lifted.
I have stock gears (3.55) and thus my engines lags a bit. I keep it out of overdrive to keep the engine in a higher RPM range.
So, you won't be abe to tell until you do it, but you'll definitely lose some gas mileage, but probably not enough to be a real problem.

I'm an easy driver. On my 96 XJ with 100,000 miles I now get 14MPG with 3.55, 4.5" RE lift, 32" BFG MTs, and lots of heavy armour.

I used to get 16MPG when stock (I bought it at 97,000), these numbers are all adjusted for tire size

On the trip to Moab I got between 18 and 20 MPG(Adjusted for a 3% speedo error) . 1995, 4.0L automatic, 4:10s, 32 x 11.50, and 4" lift. Around town, I get 14 to 16

I get around 13-14mpg Avg w/ around 5.5in lift and 33in TSL Radials on Aluminum wheels. If I really beat on it around town, it goes down to about 10, and on long highway trips (To tellico and back) I get up to 16-17.

I have an 88XJ with 150k+ but a new engine, header, and catback exhaust. 3.55's and a rear locker.

You should expext high teens I imagine with such a new jeep.

gas milage

When my 2000XJ was stock (3.55 & 225 x 70 x 16 tires), I got 20-22mpg :D . I have still have 3.55 gear, but 31 x 10.5 x 15 tires and it's fallen to about 16-17mpg :( ....even after putting on a Flowmaster catback and FIPK style airfilter! I know that I will regain some milage after installing 4.10's, the engine is lugging and sometimes has to downshift out of OD on the freeway to make it up a slight hill:eek: . It's all in the gears ;)

BLUTO :)

I have a 2001 with 4.5", 33 MTRs, and 4.56 gears. I drive hard and fast everywhere I go(no point in denying it since it's relevant). I average 15 no matter what, highway or in town. In town I get on it at lights and up hills, on the highway I cruise between 75 and 80. If I am on country roads constantly accelling and decelling between 30 and 55, I still get 15. However, the one time I drove 65 on the highway, I got like 18-19. Now the interesting part is this is the same gas mileage I got with 3.55s Not quite sure why, but I averaged 15 before and after, but the power difference felt is amazing. I actually wish I could go a little deeper, like 4.73, but not all the way to 4.88. HTH

Ary

88 mj with 160k on the ticker, 4.56s and 33s. I get 21or 22 on the freeway killing a full tank on perfectly flat highway (I-5). surprising since the thing is taching like 2600 on the freeway. Around town its more like 17, but i drive like grandma.

I recently went to 33s and I am getting just a little bit less than what I did with 31s which was around 22mpg on the highway and 15 - 17 in town.

:confused: 93 4.0 5 speed 6" lift, 33" Uniroyal Laredo MT's @33 psi, 140k miles, new O2 sensor and cat, 4.10 gears, get 15mpg on a good tank. Weighs ~4200lbs. What am I doing wrong?

I drove across country with 6" lift 33" mtr's on steel rims w/tire on top , I got around 12 to 15 mpg.

After installing MM hub conversion getting 20 MPG

NO vibes, a lot quiter and smother....no more clicking from front locker and .....the whole nine yards!!!!
Before was getting constant 17-18 MPG no matter what!!!
It is on 98 XJ with 6" of lift 33 tires 4.10 gears and 180 t-stat, flowmaster exhst, and air intake!

With 33" SSR's and 4.10's, I got in the 16-17 mpg range, up to 80 mph when the Swamps were freshly balanced. I'm running 35" MT/R's and 4.88's now and get similar as long as I keep it under 70mph.......it goes down dramatically if I go ANY faster.....

Back