• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DT3000 shock question

daveleau

NAXJA Forum User
I was talking with a very reputable guy who sells Jeep stuff online today and he said he had been having problems with the DT3000s. He said the shafts rust and this causes problems- ie blown out shocks.

How are your DT3000s holding up? Are they rusting? He said that they are really only lasting his guys about 6 months. He offered a much better shock but the price was double.

Just wanted to hear from you guys b/c I see a lot of people running DT3000s here.

Thanks!
Dave

PS-
Moderators,
If you see this, I never got the email way back when I registered. Could another email be sent for me to fully activate my acct?
Thanks
Dave

Never saw any problems with that on my DT3k's but then again we don't have much in the way of road salt or humidity here.

Even when I lived in NY (LOTS of road salt), I never saw any shock be destroyed by rust. Sounds like he was trying to sell you more expensive shocks.
What vendor was it?

I beleive that vendor to be the only one having those issues. We have been seeing the poweder coating issues but never any shaft problems at all...and that is in Coastal New England....if they don't rust here, they won't rust anywhwere.

We don't do the same volume that they do, but to have no shock/valveing failures bodes well. In the pricepoint they're unmatched.

I have run em on my 4incher WJ with 32"s for about 8 months. There is absolutley no rust on the shaft and I live in Nebraska (-20 below in winter and 105 in summer)

The DT 3Ks do have a rusting shaft problem, but it is not common to all. I think they have production\quality control\ material problems. I have DT 3Ks up front with no rust and they are two years old. I just replaced the rear shocks and one is rusted badly, and they are less than 4 months old. I had to steel wool it and apply grease, and I will have to continue to do this to keep it from eating up its seal

I know who you are refering to. Even after the conversation with others regarding rust issues. I still went ahead and purchase the shocks. It's has been 8months of hard use on the trails and DD. NO "Rust" (yeah, yeah, Texas weather ;) )or problems.

Not to overlook the obvious here.........are the rusted shaft problems occuring on a shock that is running a boot or no boot?

Shock boots are great for trapping grime and condensation.......and also for helping 50 year old men to pick up 14 yr old girls in bowling alley parking lots on a Saturday night.........:D

The ones on my XJ are all rusted and one seal has gone. The ones on the wife's ZJ are fine and they're older and have seen more Midwest winter salt, so it could be a sporadic quality control problem. No boots on any of them.

Back