• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to 8.8 swap - rear brake question

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I found a Explorer 8.8 that I'm going to install in my 2000 XJ. My friend who is doing the R&P work and installation said that I needed a "residual" valve (5 - 10# setting) .... I was told that it sorta works like a check valve and holds a little pressure against the rear calipers so they'll work properly. He also said that I may need a proportioning valve (or a new one) too.
I also have ABS and plan on shutting it down (pull fuse), but may want to remove the relay/control center on the drivers-side under the hood. Is it a PITA to re-pipe the hydraulics to non-antilock? Do I have to buy new brake lines?...Or is there a way to re-route the old ones? I'd love to have that area open for a snorkle ;)
Has anybody out there gone thru this already?
Thanx,
BLUTO :)

Well I can help you out here. I did this swap on my old Heep and Fords ABS system wont work with Jeeps. I did not have ABS, but I am almost positive you need to remove it. The proportioning valve block that is in non abs jeeps is easy to change for disc brake rears. All it takes is Removing a "O" ring from the screw in the front of the block. Hopefully some one has done this with an ABS system.

MATT

swapping D35 for 8.8" - brake question

Yeah, I don't figure on running ABS anymore...whether it's FORD or JEEP. I'm not sure if the proportioning valve is in the master cylinder on ABS models or somewhere downstream in the tubing....maybe in the ABS solenoid motor? :confused:
Once I know what I need to safely stop my vehicle and install it, then I can do some trials here at work to dial-in my brakes :cool: :D .
Anyone else played with the ABS on these vehicles?
Thanx,
BLUTO :)

Back