• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An Atlas sort of Monday

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I drove my trail rig to work yesterday eve, so I could get in a little 'coffee break' wrenching to get it ready for Tellico this weekend...Dammit that thing handles Very Bad :viking: I've been driving one of my stockers for a few weeks, so it was more apparent than normal.

Started off well enough, pulled the 30 front end apart to rebuild the EZ Locker and replace the pinion & axle seals. This is One Ton Sean's old axe, so take anything to do with it with a grain of (rock) salt.

Wow those hubs were in bad shape :) I dunno if I used my old hubs or his when it went together this spring??? Either way they are FUBAR, and very glad they are out of the gene pool...I KNEW I'd been toting three spares around for a reason :) I may have caught the hub flu from Sean at Moab? Gawd I hope not cause I now have just one spare.

Seals went in well enough, and while the blue goo was setting up, I OH the Detroit EZ...Chinese firedrill there LOL but once TracTech faxed me the instructions, it was more clear. Another big Prop for TracTech: They sent the springs & pins right away, and didn't bill me a dime. I told them upfront I had bought the unit used, and would gladly pay for the kit... Two Thumbs Up!!

Everything went back together well enough, then noticed that several of the jam nuts on my steering were loose :rolleyes: That with the hubs may explain the razor-sharp handling thing eh? Put BFHT to those so we'll see.

Anyway we juiced it up and backed it up into my (Lab Grade) Locker Test Tree, and... IT WASNT THE DAMN UN-EZ LOCKER MAKING ALL THE RACKET AFTER ALL! The T case chain is slipping again. It's been awhile in time (2001?) since I swapped the chain, but it hasn't seen all that many miles, maybe 50k,

So we are at a crossroads with that sorry ole 231. Oh yeah I'll wheel it this weekend anyways, and hopefully it 'lives' through till 12-15 when they close my local OHV, but after that it's out of there and it's Atlas time. I am now sort of glad I never spent up on a SYE, 2 low etc...

Anyone here ever Atlas an older 21 spl AW4? Anything to watch out for? Does it marry up to the stock crossmember, or will I need a custom piece. For sure I'll get the 32 spl front output, but unclear on which gear ratio. 5:1 sounds sweet, but dunno how practical it'd be for East-coast wheeling? Advice welcome...

There shouldn't be any cross member issues with the AW4. Be sure and get the 1" spacer(free uppon request) as you'll need it if the output is the kind that sticks out past the adaptor housing(it's either flush or sticks out 1/2").
Can't help ya on the gearing as the west coast wheeling is a bit different. ;)

Jes

Woody, I've been considering an Atlas myself(mostly just dreaming, but my research is still valid :D). Most people I talked to with the Atlas behind an Auto in an XJ said the 4.3 was too low and the 3.8 was perfect. For the wheelin you do and the speed at which you like to do it, I'd say the 3.8 would prolly be the case for you. BTW, you win the lottery or sumptin, those suckers are BLING BLING at around 2400$:eek:

Thanks Jes!

Ary, yeah they are a bit on the rich side, but for what ya get? (a bulletproof t-case) LOL it would be worth more than I paid for the Jeep AND it's axles and everything else on it. But no guarantees it'll STAY on this XJ

I look at it this way: OEM 231 from my MJ ($0) +$100 IIRC for the old chain, plus at least that much for the new one, and sprockets, and full overhaul, and a 2 low kit, and a SYE...were at what? about $1000? then a 'maybe' Tera 4:1 low? Another $1000, but if done together with the rebuild, might not need 'all' the bearings/seals that it would otherwise since it has a new front case half? yes?

But OTOH that is deep into Atlas' territory, without ANY of the strength benefits.

The real dillema is whether to upgrade to a 23 spl tranny or stick with 21 since all my other misc junk has 21.

Only 65 Days till Tax Time :)

I feel where you are at right now Woody. I just dove into my TC this last weekend. I went to install a AA SYE in my 89's 231. I knew the TC was not in tiptop shape due to the fact that it has 225K hard miles on it. It was actually in much better shape then I had thought it would have been inside, and the fluid was actually a lot cleaner then I had expected as well. It was probally 50k miles since I had serviced it. I got everything apart with out much of a fuss. I found the the chain with all sorts of slack in it, about 3/4 of an inch from the bottom of the case, ( i think this will make sence to anyone who has opened one up. This I had figured would be the case, though I did not have any noises that would suggest that it was slapping the case.

Does anyone have any pics of a newly installed, or fresh chain for comparison? I would like to see what a good one looks like to debate if getting a new chain is worth it. I found the front output bearing was almost shot, it was really really rough and full of crap. The front lip seal looked as if it may have failed a bit due to the age.

I started looking at atlas tc's but kind of dismissed it due to the cost, assuming that I could get another 2 years out of mine before i killed it. I may just install the sye and replace the front bearing and run it till it dies or an atlas falls in my lap. Also if you order online they are throwing in the AW4 shifters for free on their site. ( i was window shopping ) :anon:

As for my tax return...that will be financing my stroker to rebuild my aging 4.0 renix.

-Scott

Back