• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC 1" drop, is that the limit?

GrimGrimDutch

NAXJA Forum User
Just want to try if it helps me out with the vibes but don't want to spent time and $$ on the drop.
Have some metal square tube laying around so my home made drop kit is there for free............... only thing is it will drop my TC 1.2 "in stead of the 1"I'm reading all over the place.

There must be a reason, just curious what it is.

well..... I had 1" and then as a temporary fix I ran 1.25" for about 3 weeks and the rear output seal on my tranny started to leak.... not 100% sure if there is a connection... but.... it was too damn coincidental for my taste

Mine was dropped with metal square tubing which was about 1.25" with no problems for over 100K miles. Now I have a SYE and removed it.

Curt

I've got 1.5" drop and no problems. Did replace the seal though...I think my 8.8 has a higher pinion and help me not have vibes.

Dropping the tranny shouldn't stress the TC output any more, unless the change in angle creates vibes. It will stress the motor mounts a little more and it will increase the angle on the front drive-shaft. I think it can help vibrations in general, but an SYE is the way to go(keeps the clearance, new drive-shaft, in the event of shaft failure it allows front shaft use only to hoble home)

The difference is only 2 10ths of an inch, try it and find out if it works. The smaller the angles, the less stress on the u-joints and so on...

-J

I would think the linkages would be messed up. my TC shifter was kinda tricky while I had my 1" drop. It worked though, fixed the vibe, and helped keep the yoke from falling out. It does fix vibes, but in many cases the vibes are not caused by angles, and the drop just covers up the problem untill it gets worse

I figured out my vibes were coming from the front DS's centering yoke, fixed that, removed the drop and had no vibes. The seal failure comes from vibes in the rear. My seal went bad before I got the drop, soon after lifting. as the seal got worse the rear shaft started vibrating more. I belive the seal-destroying vibes came from the slip yoke being pulled out too far.

I now have no TC drop, a ~1.25" longer rear DS combined with moving the axle back ~1/2, which puts me with about the same ammount of exposed yoke as stock. my jeep is now smoother than before when I had the drop covering up my real driveline problems.

I now have no TC drop, a ~1.25" longer rear DS combined with moving the axle back ~1/2, which puts me with about the same ammount of exposed yoke as stock. my jeep is now smoother than before when I had the drop covering up my real driveline problems.
[/B]

Thanks all for the input.

Did you took it from another vehicle/ Jeep?
Or did have it lengtened?

And how exactly did you move your axle back?

Back