• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dying Question

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 cherokee that I had put two 2.8 in it and a four speed, Then I bought a rolled 88 cherokee and it had a 4 cyl. TBI so I swaped all the wire harnesses and the motor. Now I have a 4 cyl. four speed and 4wd, with 4:10 gears. Note the name. Now the motor kills on me when I slow to take a turn and just at idle in dies down and barly runs. What can I do to fix it? I have replaced the fuel filter and ran some injecter cleaner throught it, but it still does it, and I changed the throtle position sensor, but it still dies. What can I do?

I also have a 89 MJ short box with a 4.0 now its doing the same thing. What could it be?
Or is it a jeep virus that my jeeps have caught!
Thanks

Man! That could be a number of things!:D first,you DID swap the fuel pumps when you did the TBI swap,right? If you did,I'd try and locate any vaccume leaks,first. Then I'd start searching for more subtle stuff. Could be a clogged fuel pickup,dirty distributor cap,bad wires and plugs,weak alternator combined with a questionable battery,old gas,clogged catalytic converter,etc.,ect. Sorry I'm no more help than this:anon: Oh,you did reconnect the engine ground strap,right?

Back