• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Front Vent Windows?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I had my XJ broken into and they broke one of the front "vent" windows. Mine are fixed mounted but I had a couple of questions about them:

1. How tough is it to take those windows out and replace them with replacement ones?

2. Is it possible to replace those windows with the fancy ones that spin around and are true vent windows?

Thanks guys!

-Jamie

I'm not sure about the conversion you're talking about, but I know that some have coverted to solid glass (no wing window at all). Might be a little less tempting for theives and it most likely cuts down the wind noise (if you can hear anything over your swampers :) ).

It's easy to replace. Mine was recently broken into also. I had the operable vent and replaced it.

You need to take the door panel off. The back side of the window is the track for the main window so it runs all the way down inside the door. There's one bolt at the bottom of that frame/track and two on the top of the door above the widow on the slanted part. Once you get those out you roll down the big window all the way and start wobbling the vent window out. It's a tight fit and takes patience. You end up pulling it out at a very funky angle. Putting the new one in is more challenging, just take you time.

So it's pretty easy to install the fixed glass windows?

A little 409 to really wet the rubber flange part down will help you seat it....and the swing-out vents will fit in place of the fixed ones...but i want swap my swing out ones for fixed because of the bad wind-whistle..maybe i'll just silicone the blasted things shut..

Gary E said:
Mud dawg did you try putting a penny inbetween the latch and window frame it normally seals them back up :)

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing! Think I have a couple in there though. :)

What year Cherokee are you talking about. I own a 1989 and I hate the leaking vent windows. I don't know if the older Cherokees even came with solid windows or if I have to take a chance with buying a newer solid window and making it fit.

I think they all had the small window up untill 96. The ones in my 92 & 96 do not open. The 89 has the vent windows that open. They can be swapped. JIM.

I swapped a driver's side vent window into my '94...as mentioned, it can be done, but the installation is a bit of a PITA to make everything line up.

I think I've still got the fixed window assembly sitting around somewhere, PM me if you're interested, you can have it for a few bux plus shipping if I can find it.

Gary E said:
Mud dawg did you try putting a penny inbetween the latch and window frame it normally seals them back up :)

I'm using a nickel, and it's well worth the extra cost. kinda sucks when you want to open them but oh well.

I used cardboard wrapped in duct tape. JIM.

Operating vent windows do leak , a lot my 89 xj oper leak , but my 92 xj dont. My daughters 87 wagoneer did till i swapped them out , there is also allot less wind noise.

Back