• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS... to locktite the bolts or not?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I remember someone telling me one or the other..... but I don't remember which :( so, the question now stands:
SHould I locktite the CPS bolts, or not??

You could if you want to, but I've not found it necessary. I'd not use anything stronger than 222 or nail polish - there's no real stress, just vibration to worry about.

Since you're running into an aluminum casting, you don't even need that much torque. I think I usually do about 1 turn past contact, which has given enough "stretch" on the bolt to keep it in place.

I've done a few of these to date, so I've had a little practise...

5-90

OK.... got the CPS in, and it wasn't THAT bad, although I wished they sent that little shield thingie with the CPS (mine is a wee bit warped... but it still kind of fits). Anyways, I have a feeling that my no start problem was the CPS deal, as with the CPS unplugged I had the exact same symptoms that I experienced couple times on the trail and road..... so hopefully..... everything will work fine :)

BTW... for those attempting this in the future... I used close to 2ft worth of extensions (if not more!) and I had a a 1/4" 11mm socket immediately followed by the joint thingy... otherwise then that, the upper bolt would have been damn near impossible to get to!

If you dig around, you might be able to find (like I did!) a 3' long 3/8" drive ratchet extension. Use that with a socket (7/16" or 11mm) with an inbuilt u-joint and you can get the thing done in 10 minutes or less!

I found my long extension at a used tool house for $10...

5-90

I dunno - I just happened to see it, and that's still cheaper than what I'd have to order one for... I think it's about half of what I'd find it for new, and I didn't mind since it's already saved me a couple hours and a couple units of blood from the knuckles...

5-90

Back