• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toe Setting

ken johnson

NAXJA Forum User
What is the proper way to set the toe on my 89xj. Chilton manual says set right wheel by drag link adjustment then left wheel by tie rod turning. Does the latter mentioned not set the toe for both wheels. I am confused. Help. Thanks

That would be correct. The sleeve at the pitman arm basically sets the wheel straight. The tie rod sets toe. I'm assuming that at this point you have all 4 of the optical alignment devices attached to the wheels. You need to put the steering wheel weight on to hold it in place (centered) then simply twist the adjuster at the pitman arm until the drag link makes the passenger wheel level with the rear wheel. There should be prompts for this on your screen. Then twist the tie rod until the drivers side wheel is within toe specs. The machine will have you go back and forth a couple times until everything is lined up.

If you're eyeballing it... then just take physical measurements at the the inner rim lip in front of and behind the axle, try to get as close to zero difference as possibe, maybe the slightest hint of toe like a 16th or 8th of an inch. Then you'll have to take it for what seems like 100 test drives until you set the wheel centered with the draglink adjuster. Be sure to tighten all the clamps before attempting a test drive.

HTH,

Mark

Back