• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best diff oil for 99' xj

AKjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
my owners manual for my 99' xj sport says that i should run 75W-140 in the rear axle because i have a class III towing package, but says nothing about the front other than running 75W-90 if you dont have the tow package. so do u think i should run 75W-90 in the front or 75W-140? Also i dont think i do but how do u know for sure if you have Trac-Loc or not? it requests a limited slip additive. i do moderate offroading but nothing intense but i want to run the best fluid i can. i was thinking about royal purple synthetics, what do u guys think?

1. do you really tow??? if not, use the 75 - 90..... if you do, then do the other one....

2. to verify if you got TracLoc lift the whole rear end (both wheels) and turn one wheel by hand (make sure that you don't have your parking brake engaged :D) if both wheels turn in same direction, you got TL if not... you don't

3. the additive is best bought from the dealer for about $10 per bottle... you need the whole bottle...

When i installed the Trac-Lok in the 8.25 in my '98 i also used Mobile 1 synthetic. Was really quite hot while breaking in, so hot for a while i was really glad i had used the stuff. Also you will need the 4 oz real friction modifier, from the dealer preferably.

Back