• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird problem when shifting from 4wd

moonchaserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
first off with the xj's what is the proper procedure to shift from 2wd to 4? i have been going to n then driving forwards. ok well onto the real problem. i was done so i put it back into 2wd and backed up. after i asumed it was unlocked i turned while backing up and all of a sudden the steering got hard to steer and the front end hopped as i turned. now i did have the wheel at full lock, would that affect anything? thanks!!

With the np231 I don't think you need to mess with all that backing up biz you just put the trany in N and pull/push the lever.

Having steering at full lock will put tension on the drivetrain and make it less willing to shift out. It should work better straight. Actually, if everything is working properly and your tire sizes are well matched (including wear and pressure), it should shift on the fly, in gear.

4wd

You can shift into and out of 4-hi on the fly. No need to stop, no need to slow down (okay, maybe if you're going 70 at the time), no need for any backing up.

That backing up stuff is for vehicles with automatic front hubs that lock when you shift into 4WD and then unlock when you shift out. Jeeps do not have such hubs, so no need for it.

For into and out of 4-lo the recommendation is to stop or very nearly so.

I have the NP231 and non-disco front axle. I've found that the more loose or slippery the driving surface is, the better it goes in / out of 4WD "on the fly". If I'm on coarse gravel I'll have to stop and at least shift the trans into N or R to let the T-case disco the driveline.

If I'm on something like sand I have no problems. I'm just guessing here but I think that's one advantage of the disco front axle, it disengages to let the T-case catch up to everything without giving that "binding" feeling until it disengages.

If I'm on something loose and then I hit road, I'll put it into 2WD but I can still feel it connected and binding until I stop and do a N or R. I'm guessing this is a side effect of putting an NP231 into an XJ with a non-disco that previously had a NP229 (long story why it had a 229).

Mark

Yeah, mine makes a loud noise also. Sometimes tough to get back into 2wd. :(

Back