• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Email Notification option

jeep.xj.4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I used to get an e-mail everytime there was a response to a thread that I have participated in, but I haven't got one recently even though there were several replies. I've checked my preferences and this Email Notification option is ON, Is there some type of system error?

You need to ensure that you put a check in the box every time you post. New threads and replies.
If you are selecting to receive an e-mail notification with every post or reply you make, then your ISP is not accepting the e-mail. That we cannot do much about.

no pop ups for PMs? Odd. However, I do think that relies on a couple factors. Cookies, and proper browser permissions. The pop up box is just Java. Some Pop-Up blockers may cause problems, however I know they do work with google tool bar.

There are several people that do not get e-mail notification. Most are due to ISP issues. The only thing I have to go on, on this end is error messages in the logs. The only e-mail errors are bounced messages.

We may just have to hang in there until vB3 goes RC. :confused:

Yes, I have been playing with vB3 for a while. Curious to see what the final default skin will look like.

e-mail and pop-ups work on this forum too. I have a couple test accounts, and they work.
I have not seen any bounced messages from the email addy in your profile.... Hard to track down without an error message. I will send you a test in a few from the Admin side.... post back here if you get it or not.

Gentlemen,

I am sorry if this is old news, but I am sure someone changed something, and this is the reason we do not get e-mail notifications.

In all forums I participate (and I think some of them use the same engine as this one), if you have the "E-mail notifications" checked in your user preferences (or whatever that is called), you do not have to click the particular box in each thread you participate. This is the way this forum used to work as well in the past, but not lately.

Could the technical people here, bring back that functionality? I am loosing replies, just because I do not remember to check that box in each thread I participate. This is the meaning of the User preference settings after all.

Many thanks and kind regards

Hi John,
That change you mention was done some time ago for several reasons. It does, however not prevent you from receiving e-mail if you click that option when you post or reply.

Some people are just not responsible in regards to e-mail. Some change their address after they register to a "bogus" address. Some use free hotmail/yahoo/juno type accounts and do not check them often, and they reach their quota. Soooo, all those e-mails get bounced back here.... and they pile up.

We have even been reported for Spamming by somebody that was pissed that they were getting an e-mail notification that they did not ask for. :confused:

We also receive e-mail from people that set up "out of office" auto responders. While some people may need to know they are out of the office, we don't really care. :)

It has been posted before asking people to ensure they are checking the email so they do not go over quota, that they use a valid e-mail addy, and that they use one that does not let us know that they are away for the week-end.

Many forums solve this by simply *not* allowing the use of free e-mail accounts at all. We have even gone in and adjusted habitual rude e-,mail account owners profile to *not* receive notification.... they just change it back.

So instead of taking drastic or time consuming measures, we have the forum set to #1 make darned sure the recipient asked for the e-mail (hard to pass those off as "I didn't ask for it!") #2 It does cut down on the bounced mail that we go through.
That is why you need to choose an e-mail notification with every post.

This may be re-evaluated when we do the next software upgrade. Below is just a small sample of what we get sent back. Some might be tempted to say to just filter it and delete it. Unfortunately, we do need to look over the bounce messages to spot abuse, or help the people that are trying to register for the forums. It is funny sometimes when you spot them trying to use something like this for an e-mail addy: www.mysite.com Then wonder why they did not get the password mail. :) Keeps it interesting. :)

So yes, it takes an extra step to select e-mail notification, but I do ask you bear with it for now.
Also, you can return to the board, near the top, click "View New Posts". The ones with a black dot in the folder icon are ones you have posted in.
Cheers

(small sample below)

554 delivery error:
dd Sorry your message to [email protected] cannot
be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued
===================================
RCPT TO: Mailbox disk quota exceeded
===================================
554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't
have a yahoo.com account ([email protected]) [0]
=============================================
550 [email protected]...User
unknown
===========================================
554 [email protected]
Mail quota exceeded
host mx.east.cox.net [68.1.17.3]: 550 Invalid recipient:
552 RCPT
TO: Mailbox disk quota exceeded
554 delivery error:
dd Sorry, your message to [email protected] cannot
be delivered. This account is over quota. - mta104.mail.scd.yahoo.com
==========================================
And on and on..............

SV1CEC said:
Gentlemen,

I am sorry if this is old news, but I am sure someone changed something, and this is the reason we do not get e-mail notifications.

In all forums I participate (and I think some of them use the same engine as this one), if you have the "E-mail notifications" checked in your user preferences (or whatever that is called), you do not have to click the particular box in each thread you participate. This is the way this forum used to work as well in the past, but not lately.

Could the technical people here, bring back that functionality? I am loosing replies, just because I do not remember to check that box in each thread I participate. This is the meaning of the User preference settings after all.

Many thanks and kind regards

Dear Forum Fixer,

I sincerely understand the problems and the dilemas of a system administrator, being there, done that, got sick and tired of it.

So please rest assured that my complains are not for whining only. It's just that in a world where we all try to make our life easier, I think this was a step backwards.

I just can no longer trust my memory chips to remind me of which threats I've participated, and surely not to remind me to check that little box after I post.

Obviously, the problem is not yours, it's mine, I just loved the convenience of the old method.

Kind regards and again, many thanks for the detailed explanation.

No worries John, I didn't see it as whinning. Do be sure to try the "view new posts", or even the "subscribe to this thread" feature. That will list all of the threads you subscribe to in your UserCP. Oddly enough, you would expect that subscribing to a thread would also send you an email when there is activity in your subscribed threads.... but it does not do that. :( The next release has much better tools for managing that, and will be a big step forward in regards to the notification features.

SV1CEC said:
Dear Forum Fixer,

I sincerely understand the problems and the dilemas of a system administrator, being there, done that, got sick and tired of it.

So please rest assured that my complains are not for whining only. It's just that in a world where we all try to make our life easier, I think this was a step backwards.

I just can no longer trust my memory chips to remind me of which threats I've participated, and surely not to remind me to check that little box after I post.

Obviously, the problem is not yours, it's mine, I just loved the convenience of the old method.

Kind regards and again, many thanks for the detailed explanation.

Don't you worry about me going anywhere, I'll stick around and see the new release, I am an adict!

I would like to grab the opportunity and thank you and all the other NAXJA members who make this forum a reality, it has been an invaluable tool for my Jeep explorations.

Kind regards

I see, I didn't notice the box below.

jeep.xj.4x4 said:
I see, I didn't notice the box below.

See what I mean, Forum Fixer?

Not all of us do! Alcheimer, as my wife says.

Rgds

Let me ask this then.

To notify my E-mail provider.

What e-mail address is utilized to notify us when new replies are made?

Thanks
Jason

Back