• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Assembly

91xjtim

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I was wondering about where my XJ was built. According to my vin it says Toledo, Ohio. However this guy I know says its actually built in Canada...and only final assembly is in Toledo...seems to me pretty silly to built 90% of a vehicle ship it a good ways then finish assembly. Anybody have any insight? Him and a few other folks are baggin on XJ's and I wont stand for such talk!

TIA NAXJA #1

There are two principal Jeep plants - both are in Toledo, as I recall (Toledo #1 and Toledo #2, oddly enough.)

While assemblies may be put together anywhere (the transfer cases are made in Syracuse, NJ, for instance,) the final assembly is in Toledo. Major work and fit & finish are accomplished there.

Feel better?

AFAIK, Jeeps for the US market were all put together in Toledo, and probably for the Americas and a good portion of Europe as well. It is pretty safe to assume that the Chinese managed to license their own plant (that's how they work!) in order to allow the US to maintain our excessive annual trade deficit.

5-90

There are "some" Canadian modles out there. Don't know the differences!

Back